Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Rough in
Author: jose06dhr (NY)

I'm trying to find my old post and cant merge
I just fitted everything and have not glued. Am I going right so far ?
The sink has a 60 degree fitting on it, but I don't think I like the way that sits

[@#$%&[s1255.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Re: Rough in
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Looks good that does need to be a long sweep 90 just down stream of the 60 bend, I can't tell from the picture if it is or not.

Author: sum (FL)

Is it allowed to connect cast iron to PVC in a vertical position indoors with a rubber fernco where you are?

Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

And some states must use no hub adaptor fitting too.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

appears that your vent for your WC is also being used as a drain? if so code violation.

I thought the shower and lav could vent the toilet. Am, I missing something. Also, I'm not sure on the vertical fernco, or which should I use

Its a regular 90, I will replace with a long sweep

Author: hj (AZ)

In AZ we "wet vent" the toilet with other fixtures all the time. Don't you connect lavatories to the toilet vent?

Author: NoHub (MA)

Hummmm, is that 1 1/2" Pvc under ground ?, not in Massachusetts it cant be, And that fernco's a nono.

Edited 1 times.

No that is 2 in. What should be used instead of the ferco

A shielded no hub coupling. If you have extra heavy cast iron you need a xh to plastic no hub coupling and you may need a pvc no hub adaptor too.

Do you mean this ?

It looks like 2" but nothing to compare it to.

You can get the 2 band shielded type too and a pvc no hub adaptor if code requires it. [www.bing.com]

Edited 2 times.

I'm going to add the 2 in long sweep 90 at the bottom of that 60, and use the shielded coupling that I have. Other than that, can I glue it up ?

Author: DaveHessler (MN)

Toilet also needs a cleanout. lots of flat venting going on which is not allowed.

Author: DaveHessler (MN)

You can not roll why's into the horizontal branch drain or the wet venting will not function as intended.

Ok, I'm a bit confused. The 4 x 2 Wye is rolled up past the center line. Is is supposed to be flat ? The 2 x 2 Wye has is flat, is that acceptable or should it be rolled. If rolled can I do at least 45, the clearance is low. Also, can the toilet clean out go below the 4 x 2 on the vertical?

Edited 1 times.

Can anyone explained where did I error. I thought it was good according to NC, but now I am worried

Author: sum (FL)

You mean the wet venting?

I am not a plumber. I learned about wet venting from packy on this site. As far as I can see from your pictures...I have rolled up on the branch of the Y for wet venting whenever possible to help with the wet venting. The only time I don't do it is to minimize digging too deep or the tie in drain is not deep enough. I have read others felt its better to keep all branches at the same level.

From your pictures it is not clear what distances you have. Wet venting has a maximum distance depending on your pipe sizes. Check those.

Is that a shower or tub? That drain is very close to the wall?

How thick a wall are you framing from the exterior concrete wall? Looks thick enough to fit a 3" or 4" cast iron with hub and a 2" PVC behind it?

Hopefully a pro will advise.

Thanks for the input thumbs

Yes, thanks for the input. The 2'' shower is close to wall because a linear drain will be going there. Also, I have just realized that the 2 in stack has the kitchen sink on the 1st floor draining into it. So, I'm not sure that can be used as a vent. I do however have a vent from the 1st floor acroos the basement that I can access above the flood line. If anyone can chyme in, it would be greatly aprrreciated

Edited 2 times.

You can t use the kitchen sink drain to wet vent your bathroom and you must use fixtures on the same floor to wet vent. Put a little slope on any horizontal vents back to the fixture and if your tying your vent in to a vertical pipe install your sanitary tee so it curves up.

Edited 1 times.

I found the stack from the 1st floor bathroom. It has plenty of room between the walls where I can access it. However, its 25 ft across on the other side of the basement. I figured I'd run the vent up and between the joist to tie it in. Do I attach a 4 x 4 x2 vent t upside down ?

On vertical you install it so it curves up and on a horizontal you can install it so the 2" is left or right or down as long as you slope any horizontal vent pipe to the drain so it can t fill with condensate.

If it is vertical yes. If there are no fixture dumping in to stack from top floor s you can tie it in around 42 inches off the floor or higher if you need to. Don t forget to use primer when glueing.

Edited 1 times.

Yo CANNOT tie the vent into the 4" in the basement, if that is what you are asking.

Not from the basement. It would run up along the 4 in then tie in to the 1st floor bath at 42 in.There would be nothing else emptying from above.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.