Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 new bathroom faucet cracked center post?
Author: BucketHead (RI)

Howdy,

I just bought a new faucet for my old bathroom sink. After install, it appeared to be working great. A few days later though, I noticed a small drip emerging from beneath the unit, directly from the center lift rod hole. I found this forum, read through some posts, and I’m beginning to suspect that the unit is defective.

First of all, full disclosure, I am not a licensed plumber. I’m just a hack who wants to save a few bucks on a new bathroom sink by buying it at Home Depot, and installing it himself. I take full responsibility for any flood risks, etc.

So anyway, the model I chose is the “Home Glacier Bay Aragon 4 in. Centerset 2-Handle Low-Arc Bathroom Faucet with Pop-Up Drain in Chrome”, competitively priced at Home Depot for only $20.98! I guess ya' get watcha' pay for ^.o ...

[www.homedepot.com]

Obviously it’s not the Ferrari of bathroom faucets, but I wouldn’t expect it to be defective, just because it’s cheap.

Here is a photo of the leak:

Briefly, here’s what I did to install it:

I removed the old drain assembly, carefully cleaned the old putty from drain hole, applied a generous ring of fresh putty, then inserted the new assembly. I used a channel lock plyer to tighten the nut, and cleaned the excess putty from the drain flange. There are no leaks from this part of the drain.

Next, I inserted the pivot rod (which clips to the lift rod) into its seat on the drain assembly and tightened the nut. Droplets of water seem to appear where that nut meets the drainpipe, but they may in fact be from the primary leak.

Finally, I removed the old faucet unit, cleaned and dried the top of the sink, and inserted the new faucet (seating it carefully on its gasket). From below, I screwed the hot and cold supply tube coupling nuts into place, and hand tightened the lock nuts to securely mount it to the basin. There appear to be no leaks from either of these connections.

That’s pretty much it. I replaced the trap, and turned the water back on. The handles on this unit turn nicely, and the faucet spout doesn’t leak into the sink, so that’s good.

One poster suggested that the leak from the lift rod hole may be coming from the aerator, and dripping down the interior of the spout. I tested this theory by removing the aerator, then turning on the water just enough that I could see the entire stream exiting the spout. With the tap still on, I checked the lift rod hole beneath the sink again, but the leak continued.

Another post suggested that if it’s not a poor connection to the center unit, then possibly the center post is cracked, but I’d still like to rule out manufacturer defect for the moment. The only other thing I could think to do, to troubleshoot a leak from the interior of the faucet, was to remove the handles and check the stem unit assemblies. I turned off the water and loosened the bonnet nuts to inspect the valves there, but they came pre-assembled, and they look just fine. Furthermore, if they were faulty, I think the leak would be out of the spout, not from the base of the unit.

So that’s my rant. I should probably just pop the faucet out of there, and bring it back to Home Depot for a replacement, but I wanted to check to be sure it’s not just my fault somehow, first. Thanks for any advice!

Sincerely,
BucketHead

Re: new bathroom faucet cracked center post?
Author: packy (MA)

just switch the faucet for a new one. not worth your time and energy to find and fix the problem.

Re: new bathroom faucet cracked center post?
Author: hj (AZ)

Thaatt type of faucet does not have a "center post". Those are only in faucets with three separate parts.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.