Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 PEX supply line connection
Author: HomeBoy (OK)

I had some plumbers repair a leak at the underground connection to my house a couple of years ago.

Now I want to install a T just inside the shutoff valve so I can use it to automatically fill my swimming pool.

They used PEX to make the repair and i was wondering how to T off of that for my PVC line.

Bite connectors seem nice but they are brass and I imagine will not do too well when covered with dirt.

Any ideas?

[www.youtube.com]

Edited 2 times.

Re: PEX supply line connection
Author: hj (AZ)

You DO know, however, that you CANNOT just put a tee in the line and go to the swimming pool. You MUST HAVE a backflow valve, properly installed, in the line to the pool.

Author: packy (MA)

never bury sharkbite fittings..
just buy the crimping tool for the side crimp stainless steel rings.
then but a cutter, a tee. some rings and whatever fittings and tubing you will need.

I plan on putting a hand operated valve in there to close it off during the winter, and the pool is downhill from the line so I doubt that any water will come back up. And the pool itself has a fill valve mechanism that keeps the pool water somewhat level.

Edited 1 times.

I did not think it was a good idea to bury the brass fittings even though our previous plumber did just that. I'll have to look into these SS rings you speak of at the local plumbing supply store. Our plumbing supply Locke Supply said I could bury the brass fittings for the PEX. Is that ok?

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

A submerged swimming pool fill line MUST, repeat MUST, have backflow prevention.

Basic Plumbing 101

Often it may be INCLUDED at the auto-fill valve.

But, it may not.

Unless the pool is lower in elevation (not mere distance, but 'height') by AT LEAST 35 feet from the 'supply point' back siphonage could occur.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

The code does NOT care about what YOU think can or cannot happen, because YOU do NOT know all the conditions that can occur. And the fill valve is OFTEN the cause of backflow problems.

nd the 35 feet would have to measured from the LOWEST point in the water mains.

Ok. I'll put one in but the only one I could find was brass and I just do not like burying brass fittings. Same as a check valve?

Edited 1 times.

A "proper backflow preventer" CANNOT be buried. In fact it has to be at least 12" above the ground at the connection to the water system. And they are almost ALL made of brass, (a few are plastic but I never use those).

Re: PEX supply line connection big grin

Thanks hj. I am having a plumber come out tomorrow to look things over.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.