Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water bypassing sediment filter.... how?
Author: terracore (HI)

My water system is rain catchment. Water comes from the catchment tank, is pumped into a pressure tank, and then passes through a 20 micron filter and then through a 5 micron filter before it goes through a UV sterilization unit and then into the house's plumbing system.

The last 2 times I changed the filters the 20 micron filter was mostly clean but the 5 micron filter was clogged with sediment. I only got a few weeks of service from the filters this time instead of the few months I normally get because the water pressure was too low because of the clogged 5 micron.

The 20 micron filter is in an Omnifilter model OB1 Series A housing. It doesn't have a bypass feature. I double checked all the valves in the rest of the system were properly open etc. The 5 micron filter is in a clear housing and I can see the filter is already getting gross after just a few minutes, normally when I change it, it looks pretty new even after a few months.

The sediment in the 5 micron filter housing is WAY larger than 20 microns so its clear the sediment is getting past the 20 micron filter but I'm losing my mind trying to figure out how. I've had this system for many years and this has never happened before. I haven't changed brands, types, or sizes of filters etc.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: water bypassing sediment filter.... how?
Author: m & m (MD)

The second component in your filtration is the sump housing. Have you had a close look at the housing head and sump for any deformities, etc.?

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Here's an example. A red blood cell measure about 4 microns. Any debris that measures 5 microns passes easily thru a 20 micron filter. A 10 micron filter would trap a lot more minute debris than the 20.

Best Wishes

Author: terracore (HI)

No deformities.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

A positive filter should stop flow when the surface of the media is fully covered. A good example of a positive filter can be the gas filter on your car or truck. Most filters for water are not positive unless it is so stated. Some point of use filters that filter up to .5 microns are positive filters.

Much depends on the material used on the filter media.
Best Wishes

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.