Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet leaks from toilet line where line is screwed into the tank or ballcock
Author: kwhiz (CA)

This forum is my last hope. I have a toilet from 1953. A vanity was put in so very little space & a 5 in copper chrome plated 3/8 in pipe 3/8 diameter put to the shut off valve to the tank. It has a slight bend. The shut off valve has a 1/2 opening and this is connected with a compression nut--it works ok. The ballcock thing sticking out of the tank is 3/4 and has an orange screw with a hole in the bottom. When you put the pipe in the gray thing sticking out of the tank and screw in the orange cap there is nothing to keep it the pipe from leaking and it squirts out and nothing goes in the tank

I know it needs washers or something so I does not leak, but no one tells me the exact size & type and where they go. I have tried round ones and a top to a dropper bottle cutting off the top trying to make something to fit over the pipe so it has a flange--wrapped tape to stop it from leaking.

People have suggested the bendy type but I know it did not work prior as most are too long or wrong size and we had a great old style place that could figure out and made this.

If anyone could suggest exact type of washers and where they would be placed--all the washers disintegrated when taking out and exact precise directions a Martian could understand. I have replaced seats--stopped leaks in the tub & not unfamiliar w plumbing but had good instructions. Thanks

Re: Toilet leaks from toilet line where line is screwed into the tank or ballcock
Author: steve (CA)

Re: Toilet leaks from toilet line where line is screwed into the tank or ballcock

Thanks for the illustrations. Mine is not flanged so the spiral tubing is closest. Since it is straight, what size cone washer do I get for a 3/8 in tube pipe. I was searching and some have threads, some have a metal ring and some say 3/8 cone works for toilets if you have a 1/2 in tube. Also, do I put the cone further down on the tube so it fits in the gray pipe extending out of the tank and push it up until it is even. Then put the orange screw back.

It is a Fluidmaster older model.

Edited 1 times.

Also, what size compression nut do I buy for the supply line connection and what is it called. That is 1/2 in.

Also, now that I turned off the shut off valve and turned it on and turned it off---it does not close all the way. I sprayed some WD 40, It won't matter once I get the cone and have it on all the time, but for now it is leaking.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

it sounds like you should (carefully using 2 wrenches) unscrew the shut off that doesn't work anymore and replace it with one that works.
the new valve will be a 3/8 IPS by 3/8 compression angle stop. then get a new flexable supply to go from the shut off to the toilet fill valve.
do i have to tell you to shut the house water before removing the old shutoff?

Thanks clap

Thanks. I will try that. smiling smiley Yes I do know to turn the water off, but appreciate the heads up.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.