Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Resolving a wet basement
Author: bruceisthecat (MO)

Had a previous post that went into a lot of detail, just have some additional questions so let me give you a quick overview.

Two weeks ago had record rain come down (hard to drive in kind of rain) this filled my improperly sealed basement window cells and made its way into the basement and a fairly aggressive pace. I mopped a lot of it to the drain, used a dry vac and dehumidifier for rest.

The problem.

Water is still puddling up from the basement floor in two places. Considering the outside water meter is not moving as long as all water sources are off (i looked at it for 5 minutes straight to verify) I Do not believe there is a leaking pipe. Also considering this wasn't a problem until that storm hit i presume that this is caused by extra water under the house. Cement is porous and its getting out through the easiest venue possible (response from my previous post seem to indicate that high water table is the cause).

Was hoping that using a dry vac on this water every day would be enough to care for it, but its been two weeks with minimal improvement. I've done a lot to fix the outsides issues (fixed the basement cells, repaired gutters, dealt with portions of the ground sloping towards the house)

So...

1. Is there anything i can do about managing what has already been done from that storm (stopping the water from seeping up). After two weeks i'm worried about how long this issue is going to take to resolve

2. Are there any other potential concerns about what is going on under that slab? (leaking draining pipe)?

Re: Resolving a wet basement
Author: m & m (MD)

I think you're jumping the gun at this point in looking for other causes. If you have been in the house long enough to know that the water you are seeing is abnormal in all other accounts, I think it's safe to conclude that the water table is still to blame.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Because of all the rains that have been absorbed by the ground from the rains, your water table is elevated. Take a bowl and fill it half way with water. Now place a cup in the water and push it to the bottom of the bowl. You are faced with water pressures until the table is reduced. Have you considered installing a sump pit in your basement and a float pump to remove waters ?

Best Wishes

You are probably right, since i'm not used to it i'm likely over thinking it.

How long does the water table take to typically go down?

Is there anything else i can do in the meantime or is it a waiting game?

@wheelchair

I have considered a sump pump. I would have had one before if this was a regular issue. My concern is installing a water pump during a high water table might serve to be tricky but perhaps i'm wrong?

Author: packy (MA)

one problem with the entire ground being super-saturated is finding a proper location for a sump pump. just digging a hole in a corner and putting in a pump does not solve the problem. that corner will be dry but another part of the basement will be wet.
for new construction they waterproof the foundation and then lay in tons of crushed stone along with 4 inch perforated pipe. the pipe all comes back to a central location and enters a tank that will contain the pump.
sometimes the stones and the pipe simply head downhill (if there is a slope to the land) and lead the water away. downspouts get tied into this kind of system.
so basically there are tons of crushed stone under the floor and around the outside that allow the3 water to flow freely to where ever they want.
now, you don't have new construction here so you have to improvise.
my son's house has bad water problems. what he had done was have his basement floor broken up around the entire perimeter. they came in about a foot all around. they dug down about 18 inches and removed all the soil etc. they layed down a couple inches of crushed stone, put a 4 inch perferated pipe leading back to a central sump pump tank, covered that with more crushed stone and cemented the floor back. it isn't 100% successful but with the exception of a very wet spring and a torrential prolonged rain, it works well. any water he does get is minimal and is dealth with by using a shop vac.
bottom line.. you WILL have to wait 'till it dries but then you can dig a hole, install a tank with holes in it and put in a pump. that's a good start and it will be some help and might just solve the problem 100% ..

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

I've seen some with "lots of land" dig an outside well that was 2-3 feet deeper than their basement floor. This created a personal storm sewer well, with 1 horsepower pump. The basement drain was designed to drain into the well. The well is covered and protected from intrusion. It works for some.

Best Wishes

Author: hi (TX)

I really would address the outside problems. How is the grade of the soil surrounding the basement? Is there a proper swale around the house?

[s3.amazonaws.com]

[www.winnipeg.ca]

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Many basement floors are poured over a layer of gravel that was used to level the soil. This gravel will allow water to move under the floor to a sump pit with a pump such as Packy suggested in your previous post. I would put the sump pit where you observed the most water entering.
A friend of mine's father had tried for years to waterproof all the seams in his basements walls and floors to no avail. When he broke the floor he found the gravel layer and installed a plastic pit with holes. His pump ran in wet weather but he never had another seam leak.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.