Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leak in Bathroom Sink Drain / Trap
Author: shuey (PA)

I installed a pair of identical faucets (American Standard 2275.503.002 Colony Soft Two Handle Centerset Lavatory Faucet [www.amazon.com]) in our bathroom and reused the existing drains. One works fine and the other leaks from the drain above the trap.

Here's a photos of the install:

[www.dropbox.com]

I've compared the installation of the leaky drain to the other bathroom sinks in our house and nothing looks to be significantly different. Water is leaking out from in between the drain included with the faucet and the connection with the trap, labeled as "A" in the photo. That connection never seems to be snug, even if I tighten the seal on the top most part of the drain, I'm still able to move the section of pipe below "A" by hand.

As an experiment I wrapped the drain pipe with tape and used some silicone sealant as shown in the photo and now the drain leaks through the connection below it, labeled "B" in the photo.

Is the drain included with the faucet flawed and too narrow? Shouldn't the connection be snug there with the drain? Or am I missing something else?

Thanks!

Re: Leak in Bathroom Sink Drain / Trap
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You're probably using a 1 1/2" slip joint washer in that connection. You need a 1 1/2" X 1 1/4", it will fit tight around the drain assembly.

Thanks! thumbs

Thanks! I'll give that a try and post a follow up here afterwards.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

the install looks a bit "jacked". looks like the trap adapter was installed too close to the wall and now the trap is pulling on the tail piece putting stress on that joint and causing or leak OR as suggested you might not have the right ferrule as you transition from the tail piece to the tubular tail piece extension.

Edited 1 times.

I ended up getting a replacement drain for the faucet from American Standard. I think the original one was defective and either wasn't the correct diameter or was deformed slightly so that a tight seal wasn't being formed. Things are working well with the replacement.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.