Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Tank Bolt slips into Flush Hole
Author: jcappy (NY)

I was flipping over a Kohler Cimarron toilet tank to install it, when one of the bolts slipped off and went down the flush hole. (where the tank joins the toilet)

Is it important that I get it out? Or will it just remain permanently in the rim area as water passes over it? I'm thinking it might come out the large hole at the base of toilet.

I'm not sure what to do or how to get it out of there. I tried a magnet, but its reach was minimal. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Re: Tank Bolt slips into Flush Hole
Author: packy (MA)

since the only thing going by the lost bolt is water, i would not worry about it.
a magnet won't get it because it is brass.

Author: m & m (MD)

Kohler is still using brass??

Author: PlumberLoren (CA)

Good question. I have seen these bolts made of Plastic. Companies are getting so cheap. Try to go with a company that uses brass bolts and nuts and washers. With as fast as things change these days I don't know what toilet I would recommend to a customer. I used to favor the Japanese brand over the Kohler and American Standard.

Author: hj (AZ)

If it makes it to the jet hole, then I WOULD worry about it.

Author: asktom (MT)

I'd have that bowl upside down and be shaking to try to get it out if it was mine.

Author: jcappy (NY)

This is what the Kohler rep. suggested, but I kind of doubted it. And I was wishfully thinking I wd not have to pull out the bowl after putting work into installing, caulking and leveling it.

All this because these new hanging bolts that pop off so easily when you position the tank on the bowl.

Maybe when the tank is in place, i can try a few trial flushes to see if it pops out from the large hole at the bottom of the bowl (maybe catch it in a net or something)

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.