Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 How do I get this handle off?
Author: Don411 (IN)

Shower valve, replaced the H/C washers and stopped the dripping, but I get a mix of spout and shower head regardless of the position of the handle. Probably needs washers too but how do you get this handle off? There's no screw in the end like the H and C handles....the only visible thing is this slot but not sure what to do with it.

Re: How do I get this handle off?
Author: m & m (MD)

Eljer. Insert a flat screwdriver bit of the same size into the slot and pull out at the same time.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

[www.samsmarine.com]

That was my first impression, insert a flat head into the slot and depress the keeper tab, but it wouldn't release. The handle is so wobbly it feels like it should fall off on its own. Ill try again.

I used a beveled washer like this on the stem, it stopped the dripping but you still have to crank the bejeezus out of the handle to get it to completely shut off. Should I have used a flat washer?

Author: hj (AZ)

You probably should have also replaced the seat.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Why would you consider using a tapered washer, the original manufacturer would not use? Tapered washer actually restrict the full movement of the stem in closing.

Best Wishes

I ALWAYS use beveled washer unless the stem has so little travel that it will not open with one.

The washer that was in the hot was so ground up its original shape was indistinguishable, and the washer that was in the cold side was beveled, so without knowing the brand I went with what was in there. Can you tell me the correct washer I should use?

This shower valve only has to last a few more months until we remodel the bathroom, but I needed to stop the leak, last month's water bill was an eye-opener.

HJ, I agree with you about the seat, that's what ground up the washer. How do I replace it?

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

The seat has either a square or hex center. With the appropriate tool, it will unscrew out of the faucet body.

Unscrew it and insert the new one.

Author: asktom (MT)

Seat wrenches are inexpensive and will have a square on one end and a hex on the other, usually.

Thanks guys do these seats usually come out or are they corroded in?

Author: packy (MA)

push the seat wrench firmly into the seat and tap it inwards lightly. then unscrew the seat. it should come right out.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

It should be a brass seat screwed into a brass body, so it shouldn't be frozen solid. Just be careful not to destroy the notch in the seat where the wrench goes in. I almost always use beveled washers.

Thanks smileys with beer

Thanks guys, I will get back to this over the weekend.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks smileys with beer
Author: kwhiz (CA)

Good Luck.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Thanks smileys with beer

So I got this Binford rebuild kit:

The hot and cold stems and seats were exact fit, the escutcheons and handles fit, but the sleeves or whatever covers the stem wouldn't thread on. Had to clean up the old ones and use them.

The diverter stem was completely different. Mine looked like this:

Finally found this and ordered it. The one that's in there is so corroded, the holes on the side of the stem are only semi-circles, the end of the stem and that seal are completely gone.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.