Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Lowering floor height and toilet flange
Author: Sleddude (NH)

We are renovating a second story bathroom from a 1995 construction house. The drain piping is black in the basement. I think the toilet drain is 3", but not sure.

So, just to make sure my terminology is correct, I will refer to the layers from the bottom up as Joist, subfloor, underlayment, tile.

We removed a large platform tub that took up 1/2 the bathroom because we wanted to open up the bathroom. The platform for the tub was built right on the subfloor, which is the same level as the floor under the carpet in the adjoining bathroom. The tile in the other half of the house was on 3/8 plywood (which I think is called underlayment). The toilet sets on top of the tile.

We want to put Luxury Vinyl "click" floating floors, which are approved for bathrooms. We would like to run it continuously through the bathroom into the bedroom, So I want to remove the tile layer and underlayment.

Floors coming out:
Tile 1/4"
Underlayment 3/8"

New floor:
Vinyl 3/16"

So, I will be loosing 7/16" in flooring material. (roughly)

Here are my questions:
1) Can a toilet easily be lowered, or do you need to cut pipe?
2) Can I mount the flange and toilet directly to the subfloor?
3) is there any chance the flange was mounted to the subfloor already? if so, do I need to do anything special or just remove toilet and install the new floor and replace toilet with a new wax ring?
4) The flooring is supposed to have 1/4 inch of "float". If it goes under the toilet it will be pinned down. How would I install "floating" floors under the toilet.

Also, we had new toilets installed a few years ago, and the plumber at the time said there were no signs of water damage, so I hope all is solid.

Re: Lowering floor height and toilet flange
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You will need to remove the toilet and take a look see at what the original plumbers did. The correct way is for the flange to be resting upon and secured to the tiles. If that's what you have you'll need to cut the flange off, and depending what's underneath the flange, either shorten the pipe and install a new flange, or use a new fitting and flange. I've always secured the flange thru the floating floor into the subfloor and "pinned" the flooring down under the toilet.

Author: packy (MA)

agree... if you can post a picture of the flange someone can advise how to proceed with lowering it.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

you can NOT float the floor under the toilet

the toilet flange MUST be 'bolted down' to the sub floor and resting ON TOP OF the finished floor

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks everyone smileys with beer

I am trying to do as much myself as possible, and I can't have the bathroom out of commission for more than a couple days. Tearing out the tile and underlayment is not a problem, nor is putting in the floating floor. The problem will be lowering the flange.

So, I think I will attack the tear out and install of the floor on a weekend plumber ready for a Monday, unless I get lucky and it is already bolted to the subfloor.

We are replacing the vanity, so I will wait until the new one is in and have the plumber do all the work at once.

Thanks everyone.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks everyone

you are missing the point

the flange sits ON TOP OF the finished floor, NOT on top of the subfloor and recessed into the finished floor

the flange IS bolted through the finished floor to the subfloor

while it is good that you are attempting a DIY, you may require an actual plumber, NOT a 'handyman'

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks everyone smileys with beer

I plan on getting a plumber for the plumbing portion. I just wanted to make sure I call him out once, not twice.

I want to do as much prep/tear out as I can before he comes.

So, based on your picture, I should have the finished floor done before I call him, then he can set the flange to the right height, correct.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

No, I'd want to come in and work while the subfloor is exposed. It is possible that the floor may have to be opened up a little in order to lower the flange. You don't want to find out that's the case after the finished floor is down. He can make the necessary changes to the piping, then you can install the finished floor, and then the flange can be installed atop the new floor.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Three quarter inch subfloor alone will flex when walked on. I was taught that the subfloor and underlayment combined should equal 1.25", minimum.

Edited 1 times.

the plumbing needs to be addressed TWICE

1. modify to leave a capped stub too long

2. install flange AFTER finished floor installed

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.