Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 under slab gas line
Author: faqwest (CA)

My contractor is working with the city to do under slab gas line.Instead of the sleeve with vent outside city is ok to do the vent inside the house. It makes sense that venting inside will tell if gas is leaking but do you guys see any risks to this method?

Re: under slab gas line
Author: steve (CA)

It's against the Plumbing Code, but I don't have a problem with it. The only problem I can think of is, IF the underground pipe is more susceptible to leaking and you aren't home to detect it, your house fills up with gas. You might already have multiple runs of gas pipe buried in the walls/ceiling and if one of them leaks, you still have the same gas filling the structure.

Author: packy (MA)

if that is what the city gas inspector wants and subsequently inspects and passes the installation, you are good to go.

Author: hj (AZ)

If you care going to vent it INSIDE the house, why bother with the sleeve, vent, and stuff that goes with it because the leaking gas will STILL be inside the house. WHich means the house could still blow up. I have NEVER heard of an inside vent being approved. ONLY OUTSIDE and even then it has stringent parameters.

Thank you guys! thumbs
Author: faqwest (CA)

Thank you guys! one reason for sleeve is to not loose the odor from what i have read it up. venting inside puzzles me still!

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

do NOT vent inside

even if it meets minimum code / your inspector

do NOT vent inside

EXCEED the code and vent OUTSIDE

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

California Code allows(requires) an underground gas pipe that starts and ends inside the structure to be vented at both ends. So why not inside end only when it starts outside? Why are you not wanting to vent outside?

? does it allow or require ?

? why are we, as skilled journeymen, so reluctant to SURPASS minimum code requirements ?

if it does, in fact, REQUIRE inside venting I stand corrected

even though I would think such REQUIREMENT would border on insanity

The sleeve is to prevent a leaking gas line from accumulating under the slab and then exploding when it reaches an ignition source. If you do NOT vent outdoors the gas still accumulates in the building with the same result. Some areas do NOT even permit gas lines under concrete slabs. You have to run them overhead and then drop down in a column.

I think you are missing a sentence or two when you state that it is vented at both ends, INDOORS. No sane code body would EVER permit that.

2013 CA Plbg Code -

D'OH

What I and hj said smiling smiley

Author: packy (MA)

"why are we, as skilled journeymen, so reluctant to SURPASS minimum code requirements"..
because those of us that have our own businesses have families to feed.
wouldn't it be nice to have the luxury to create cadillac jobs with chevrolet specs.
in the real world, the competitive nature of simply doing business does not allow us that luxury.
sure you can up-sell a job by explaining to the customer that they are getting a much better job but they are also paying 25% more. you are not going to be in business very long.

I assume you live in a dwelling with a 6'6" (78"winking smiley ceiling height.

Code Minimum

And a heating system capable of 55 degrees at design outside air temperature.

Code Minimum

And mow your lawn to 12" height.

Code Minimum

? Shall I continue ?

I would like to see someone install an unsealed conduit inside a building and get it approved.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.