Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water shut off valve in wrong location?
Author: ArdentHomebuyer (CO)

Hello all,

I have a question for you guys. I am buying a new home (being built) and we've come into a bit of an oopsie with the builder.

Our Floorplan is reversed from the normal version. This has caused the home builder to buy the wrong cabinets already.

I think this has also lead to the water shut off valve being in the wrong location. It's currently in a highly customized finished basement bedroom (the only customized part of the house). Is that normal for a home builder? Did they mess and put it on the wrong side of the house because the Floorplan was reversed? The other side of the room shares a wall with the unfinished basement with mechanical.

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water shut off valve in wrong location?
Author: packy (MA)

it should be in the mechanical room.
have him change it from outside. dig new trench and drill new hole in the foundation. make sure it is deep enough to not freeze.
under no circumstances accept the way it now is..

Author: Anonymous User

Deleted.

Edited 1 times.

Thank you very kindly clap
Author: ArdentHomebuyer (CO)

Thank you very kindly for responding and letting me know! I just found out that the main sewage line with the cleanout was placed in the closet attached to that bedroom. The closet is finished space as well.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

RUN

RUN FAST

RUN FAR

? May I suggest Costa Rico ?

On a serious note:

What ELSE may be wrong with your new home constructed by, in the medical definition, an @#$%&?

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

somebody is in a whole heap of trouble.
anyway, it is hard to give advice as to how to correct this except to say all the piping must be removed, the holes in the foundation must be patched properly and sealed.
any changes to the sewer must not have any sharp bends in the piping, and must pitch downward to the street. all that piping must be pressure tested and re-inspected before covering.
remember. water pipes MUST be buried deep enough so as never to freeze.
hey, we are all human and make mistakes. what is important is that someone take responsibility and correct the mistakes so conditions are as good as (if not better than) before.

Author: hj (AZ)

The house is a "reversed" floor plan. It used to amuse me to see guys walking around with the plans upside down over their heads trying to lay out the house plan.

There is normally NO PROBLEM with a cleanout in the floor of a closet.

Edited 1 times.

"There is normally NO PROBLEM with a cleanout in the floor of a closet"..
given the choice of having a sewer cleaning company wheel a dirty machine thru a finished bedroom and then opening a cleanout that could spew raw sewage into the closet OR having access to a cleanout in a utility room...
well the odds are better for having the D-backs EVER beating the red sox.
why do they even bother to come to rat infested fenway park. just stay home, play a few rounds of golf and mail in their results..

Author: sum (FL)

They should have used a mirror when consulting drawings and ISOs for a reverse floor plan.

Will they rough hot supplies on the right and cold on the left for a reversed plan lol?

How many plumbing drain fittings cannot be used in reverse? An elbow can turn left or right, but those sanitary tees with multiple inlets can't be flipped. Are there many fittings that can only bf used in specific orientations?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

? How about spending $50 and actually PRINTING a 'working set' reversed ?

Yes, I realize the lettering would be backwards, but the LINES would be as required.

IMO, maybe worth 2 cents, a clean-out (for a main drain) in a finished clothes closet inside a finished bedroom is USELESS for practical purposes. The required cleanup after use would be as expensive as a 'dig and install'.

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Not many but the ones that do are made in left and right hand versions.

Author: steve_g (CA)

I can't help wondering if this isn't the 200th house they've done in a tract and the first one with a reversed floor plan. And then no one bothered to tell the plumber, or the guy buying cabinets either.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.