Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 I hear water running
Author: Lorla (CA)

Hi,
I heard the sound of running water outside where the water enters the house. I could find no leaks after a cursory look at 4 a.m. I turned off the water to the house, and I can still hear water running but not as loudly as before. Also, I hear water running through the pipes of one outside faucet that is near the property line. I did not turn off the water at the street. Why am I hearing water in both places, but not at other faucets outside. I live in the country not the city, and we have quite a few faucets. The one I hear is nearest the street. I don't hear anything on any other faucet including the one nearest where the water enters the house. I can find no evidence of leaks, but I feel sure there must be one. frowning Any ideas about what I should look for will be appreciated.

Thank you.

Re: I hear water running
Author: packy (MA)

where is the water meter located? does it show water running?
is it possible that the valve you are shutting off is not closing all the way? this would account for a diminished sound of running water..
lastly, toilet/s running ???

Re: I hear water running
Author: Lorla (CA)

Hi,

There are no running toilets. There is no sign of leaks under the house. It is completely dry under there. There was water flowing through the meter. I turned the water off at the meter. Before I turned the water off at the meter and after I had it off to the house, I found water flowing (just outside the kitchen exterior wall) from the kitchen drain pipe into the grease trap. The pipe to the grease trap is completely rotted out on the under side. How did clean water run through a drain pipe with a good force when the water did NOT come from the kitchen sink? confused I have done a good deal of digging and cannot find the source of water. My hubby is out of town, and I need to figure this out. Suggestions, please. smiling smiley I will add that I uncovered the pipe that feeds water into the house, and where I uncovered it, it is rusty but doesn't appear to be leaking.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.