Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Newb question / Shower trap
Author: USMCGRUNT (PA)

Hello all, I have a question about my shower trap. I am redoing a bathroom from scratch and have taken out a tub and installed a shower pan. I have read on here the codes, pros/cons, etc for converting the entire drain pipe to 2", but unfortunately I just do not have the access. I am going to go 2" slightly above the drain trape into the shower pan. I only have one shower head at 2.5gpm, so I am fairly confident that I will be ok. I figure if it doesn't drain fast enough, then I'll deal with ripping my kitchen ceiling open.

My newb question is in regards to the trap. This is a one shot deal for me. Can anyone recommend whether I should use candle string or similar for the threads of the trap? Or just hand tighten? The last thing I would want is a leak that I have no access to unless I tear open a kitchen ceiling.

Thanks!!

Re: Newb question / Shower trap
Author: packy (MA)

snake the drain really clean and 1 1/2 inch although against code will be fine. especially since you have a single 2.5 GPM shower head.
as for the trap ??? are you asking about the cleanout plug on the bottom? if so, it will never be used. replace the trap with one that has no plug. if you can't replace it, what i have done is clean it up and PVC cement it. it will never open but that doesn't matter. it will never leak either.

Author: hj (AZ)

WHY would you use a trap with threads inside the ceiling in the first place?

Author: hj (AZ)

My impression is that he is asking about the thread on a "union joint" P trap, which is something I would never use in a buried location.

Author: packy (MA)

many years ago in a land far far away (massachusetts) we were mandated that any trap we installed had to have a cleanout plug in the bottom. even those under a second floor tub or shower.
that regulation was changed to allow the traps with no cleanout.

Re: Newb question / Shower trap thumbs
Author: USMCGRUNT (PA)

Thank you all for the responses. Yes, I was referring to the union on the p-trap. However, just as one person stated, I decided to pull my head out and use a trap with no union. I am doing straight cement and should hopefully solve any problems. Now I have a one shot deal and minimal time to get the pan in correct the first time in the mortar bed with the drain pipe lined up.

Thanks again for the answers!!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.