Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Main water service line disaster
Author: tomormatt (CA)

I am a longtime lurker and have benefitted immeasurably from the collective wisdom of the posters. I have almost always been able to find answers to my questions by searching the site; however, I have had not find the exact answer to my current issue.

I will include some pictures, but the quick summary is that I have a main water service line that goes from the meter to the side of the front on my house (meter is in my sidewalk and the distance to where it surfaces by my house is 60-70 feet). The run from my meter is 1 ¼” pvc and it ties into my irrigation (via a tee that reduces to a 1” line after a 90 degree bend a few inches after the tee) right before the shut off valve. After the tee to the irrigation line there is some connection to copper piping and a brass shut-off valve (gate) a few inches after. There is a 4-6 inches of copper pipe above the shut-off value where it tees to a hose bib (after reducing) and to the house. The line to the house goes into what I now know is a water pressure reducer. After the pressure reducer it hits a tee with a 90 degree turn toward the house with the other stem going another 3 inches to something that I am guessing allows for flushing the water if necessary?

With that as background, the ground around this areas is saturated with water. I dug up and keep going deeper to try and find where it was leaking .When I got to the 90 degree turn upward from the main service line I found the 90 degree elbow caused from being poorly aligned with where it ties in above. It looks like someone had tried to fix this by putting PVC cement on the area where it was cracking. I am a somewhat experienced DIY and recently remodeled a bathroom including replacing several fixtures (moved shower, toilet, sink, etc.) and have installed a few sprinkler systems. I used PEX on my internal jobs and PVC for the sprinklers. I have sweated copper pipes, but am much more comfortable with PEX or PVC.

I would like to utilize PEX until right before the water pressure reducer and can join the PEX to the copper at that point using a sharkbite coupling; however, my dilemma is trying to figure out how to join the PVC to the copper pipes or PEX after the tee to the irrigation line. I can order a 1” sharkbite coupling that will transition from the PVC to the PEX, but I cannot find anywhere with this in stock so had to order from HD website and it is a week away. I am thinking a PVC male adapter to a PEX female adapter will work in the interim (I will use tape or pipe dope on the thread), but am looking for advice on this specifically or the setup in general.

Is there any downside to using PEX instead of copper above where the PVC will stop? I know PVC cannot carry hot water, but all of this is before the water even enters the house. I am okay with the high cost of the sharkbite fittings as I feel more comfortable with those than my ability to sweat the copper pipes. Appreciate any help I can get.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.