Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Shower Drain Smells Like Perm Solution
Author: BabsNMK (NJ)

Hi. I've researched this endlessly and can't find an answer. We recently moved into a home that was renovated in 1995. The previous owner did not maintain the house well but everything appeared to be in working order. A little after we moved in the master shower smelled like mold. I did a lot of sniffing and found that it was coming from the track under the shower doors where water collects and sits. I have cleaned that spot endlessly and all seemed well for about a week but then a perm or burning-hair odor kicked in. I thought it was the doors again so I continue to clean but nothing comes out. Then I took the doors out of the equation and just sprayed the shower head down the drain and that's really when I get the smell. It doesn't have an odor if the shower is not running.

It's not a sewage smell, there's water in the p-trap, but I just can't find the source. I've poured baking not soda and vinegar several times, I've sprayed with a hydrogen peroxide solution, but it still comes back everytime water hits the drain. Part of me wonders if it's coming from under the rubber gasket that deals the drain to the shower but my husband told me if there was water there it would be leaking to the ceiling below.

Any ideas? I have a really sensitive nose and this is making me ill when I shower. I've looked up all previous posts that could relate to this but none of them have an actual solution.

Re: Shower Drain Smells Like Perm Solution
Author: packy (MA)

remove the chrome cover from the shower drain and scrub the inside of the pipe and as much of the trap as you can with a bottle brush and bleach.

I've done that and no change. This pipe is close to spotless at this point but the smell continues.

Author: packy (MA)

so, if you remove the chrome cover and stuff something into the trap riser, you still get a smell?

Yes although this time it smells almost metallic as well. The outside of the drain is metal so maybe the smell starts when it hits that?

Also when I looked down into the trap, the standing water definitely still had some soap in it from my husband's shower last night. Maybe that's part of the problem?

ETA-Actually it's 100% the drain. I unplugged it and the smell wafted up as I did so

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.