Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Add shutoff valves to old sink
Author: golfingwithfools (NC)

Hi,

Can someone tell me how easy or difficult it will be to add shutoff valves to my bathroom sink that is currently plumbed in the linked picture below? I am a quick learner, but really no plumbing experience... lol

Thanks, Kenny.

[www.amazon.com]

Re: Add shutoff valves to old sink
Author: hj (AZ)

pictures do not work.

Author: packy (MA)

in a perfect world those elbows would unscrew easily and an angle stop would screw onto the nipples sticking out of the wall.
worst case scenario is the nipple will break behind the wall and you'll have to open it up to do a repair.
they make straight stops that are 3/8 compression x 3/8 compression.
removing the supply going to the faucet but leaving about an inch sticking out of the elbow and adding a shut off there might be the safest thing for a novice.

mine opened .. he has 3/8 female x 3/8 compression chrome 90's.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd wager that if galvanized nipples are behind those 90's, something would break off if one were to try and unscrew them. It looks like one of them has been leaking a little bit, and it looks like a tiled wall. I'd be prepared to open up the wall and replace whatever's there.

Thanks for the info big grin
Author: golfingwithfools (NC)

Ok, so I guess I won't go messing with trying to unscrew it as I don't want to tackle breaking into the wall.

So, you are saying I can cut the supply line, leaving about an inch in the 90 that is there, and attach a valve to that? It will just screw onto it? And I can attach braided supply line from there to the faucet?

Thanks for the info.

Edited 1 times.

valve is 3/8 compression on both ends..

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.