Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installing new bathroom on second floor vertical drain
Author: olarmydude (ME)

I am putting a 3/4 bath in my house and the house was never plumbed to code. I'm trying to fix a bunch of issue's. My first question concerns running a 3 inch drain from the toilet from the second floor to the basement and connecting it to the 4 inch main sewer pipe. I did not adjust for the foundation width when installing the second floor toilet and need to bring the pipe in by about 6 inches from the outer wall to adjust for the foundation wall (granite block). Will code allow me to put a 6 foot section with a 10 degree slant to make the adjustment or do I need to make a quick adjustment near the floor. Where the 3 inch is coming down from the second floor is a 24x24 inch dead space.

Re: Installing new bathroom on second floor vertical drain
Author: packy (MA)

what you are asking is.. can i install a pipe that will look like the 'leaning tower of pisa' ?
there is something in my code that says piping must be done in a workman like manner. translation.. the inspector can flunk a job if it looks terribly sloppy.
your inspector would have to be a real harda$$ to do this if everything else was up to code and done neatly.

Author: hj (AZ)

You make changes of direction with fittings and there is NO fitting with a 10 degree angle. "Bending" the pipe will violate the "smooth interior flow" requirement for drain lines.

Author: packy (MA)

well i guess the millions of garbage disposer elbows out there must be removed and replaced with street 90's.
the same goes for waste arms and tubular trap arms.
in fact traps themselves are 'bent' sections of plastic or brass.

Author: m & m (MD)

We plumbers install drain lines all the time that drop into the basement over the foundation wall. From there we offset the drain into the basement with various bends.

Author: hj (AZ)

Now you are being pedantic. I suppose if he could find a garbage disposer elbow then he could use it in his drain line. A "p" trap IS a "fitting".

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.