Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Basement rough in
Author: jose06dhr (NY)

I'm having second thoughts about the work this guy did. Is it worth it to break up the concrete thats laid if necessary

[@#$%&[s1255.photobucket.com]][/URL]

Re: Basement rough in
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I see multiple code violations. Tee's in the horizontal run, undersized piping, traps with no vents, short sweep 90's, etc. Yeah I'd say start over.

I'm going to do it myself, which I should have from the beginning. It's amazing how much people say it can work fine the way it is including the guy that did it.
You said undersized, where ? The main is 4 in. So I'm going to guess that a "wye" is supposed to be used on all those horizontal tie in's. The vertical 2 in and 1-1/2, are drains that appear to vent out to the roof. Could I tie in to the 2 in, to vent the shower, sink and toilet ?

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Yes, you'll need wye's to catch the drains. No 1 1/2" pipe allowed below the slab. You could vent the toilet ,sink and shower with a 2" vent, assuming you don't exceed the maximum distance from the trap to the vent, which I believe is 72" in your area. You'll need to vent the toilet before it ties into the main.

Ok, so basically change the horizontal fittings to wye, even on the vertical pipes on the wall. Then vent the toilet before it enters the main. Now for the vanity, I would use 2in and reduce it higher up by the sink, is that correct

Author: packy (MA)

done correctly, you can vent the toilet with 2 inch pipe, tie the shower into that vent (wet venting the toilet) and run the 2 inch vent up that back wall and tie the sink into it as well.
what you have now is 100 miles from being correct.
changing the tees to wyes will get you to 95 miles from being correct.
it all needs to come apart and be redone.

Ok, so basically everything can connect to the 2 in vertical pipe in rear, before they hit the main ?

you put a 4 inch wye where that 4 inch coupling now is. in the pipe going to the new toilet, you put a 4 x 2 wye. the toilet goes straight into the end of the wye. the 2 inch from the wye heads to the back wall. along the way you put a 2 inch wye for the shower. the shower trap drains into the end of this wye. the side of this 2 inch wye goes to the back wall. at the back wall you put a 2 inch long sweep 90 looking up. now you put a cleanout tee to cover the code. up at 18 inches off the floor you put a 2 x 1 1/2 sanitary tee. 2 inch straight up and 1 1/2 looking to the side for the sink to drain into.

ok, got it so far however, the 4 in wye, laying horizontal under the slab, you mean to run up to the vent ? Or from the wye it runs vertical and attach to a higher point to the 2 in running vertically ? Also, the wye coming from the toilet, I would run the shower drain through there, rather then staight into the main line ?
Hope that didn't sound confusing

Edited 1 times.

Packy's typ. drawing
Author: steve (CA)

Use 2" instead of the 1½ shown. There also should be a cleanout near the base of the 4" stack and that non-shielded rubber coupling might be required to be shielded. Also the sanitary tees on their backs along the back wall are not proper.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Santees on their sides, finish products finish glued in place, cut it off 2'south of the coupling on the 4" and hire a plumber to do it correctly

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Re: Packy's typ. drawing

Back laying santees used for Vents are OK in most places

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Re: Packy's typ. drawing

ok I understand

It is glued, dude didn't use primer. His exacts words were "people put primer so the job looks good" So I'd have to take all that apart. Also, having an issue, I understand everything so far. How high up or at what point do I tie the 2in vertical, because there is that 1-1/2 vertical drain in the way. So to the left there is a 2in and to the right there is a 1-1/2in drain form the second floor

Edited 1 times.

Cut the 4" a couple of feet downstream of it and start from scratch, If you follow the Packy diagram it would pass, However there is more going on than the diagram shows

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Yes, I got that, my issue is connecting to that 2in vertical pipe to the left

The 2" with the trap almost laying on its side.....for the shower?, like I said cut it all out and start from scratch, it will be easier than trying to fit to the existing mess

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

It's really messed up that people do this kinda work and get paid for it, and they'll justify it. Painfull part is I have to jack hammer the concrete now

Not to pour salt

in the wound, but, that's one reason permits are pulled and inspections made by the local code enforcement. It helps prevent jack hammering things up. Why was installer paid and concrete placed, if you had doubts about the installation?

Re: Not to pour salt

Actually, I dug up to relocate the sink. But in the midst, I was check to see what would be the appropriate connector, and realized off the photo that the pieces looked suspect. Thats when I discovered this forum

The sink, I've decided to move it,to sit net to the toilet. It would be tied in with the wye thats branched from the main, and I believe it should be tied in to the 2in running to the back wall. Is this correct ? And my only issue now is connecting to the 2 in vertical.

What's A, B and C ?

A is a 2in drain from the main floor that runs up through the house to the roof, B, is a 1-1/2 kitchen drain line that runs from the attack. C, is not the shower, it is a 1-1/2in line for the sink, the rear of that is a 2in line mounted in the back, because I have a 42in linear drain thats going there. The sink, I want to relocate to sit next to the toilet. Also, i drew that wrong, towards the rear is supposed to be a wye that i would use, I'm puzzled as to what fitting to use to connect it to the vertical line. Also, can the 4in line be used to vent, that also goes to the roof?

Edited 1 times.

all the help, all the advice along with all the drawings and you are farther from being correct than when you started. we are here to help but when you don't seem to comprehend what we are trying to convey ???

Yes and I'm thankful, I just had a question of of tying in the wye from the shower to the vertical pipes. It appears I'd have to come up net to the 4in pipe run a 90 to the left to connect

if you run the trap from the shower into the back end of the wye like my drawing clearly shows, the vent will be aiming at a 45 deg angle toward the back wall.

Ok, I'll post the pictures when it's completed

I just fitted everything and have not glued. Am I going right so far ?
The sink has a 60 degree fitting on it, but I don't think I like the way that sits

Deleted duplicate...

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.