Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Flattened threads on outdoor spigot
Author: rjscott813 (VA)

I don't know if these areas of flattened threads on my outdoor spigot are suppose to be there or not? The house has had only one previous owner. I have not been able to hook-up a garden hose to the spigot. Is there something missing or do I have to have it replaced? TYIA

[s1174.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Flattened threads on outdoor spigot
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

No, the threads are damaged. You may be able to file in the notches just a little and get a hose to screw on. That's a vacuum breaker screwed onto the hose bibb and if the set screw has not been broken off you may be able to unscew it to expose some nice clean threads, although a new vacuum breaker would need to be screwed back on.

Author: hj (AZ)

That vacuum breaker IS made with the "flattened" threads, so you can tighten it with a crescent wrench and there is no reason why a hose should not attach to it.

Author: packy (MA)

yeah, the seal is not around the threads, the seal is the flat hose washer.

Thank You thumbs
Author: rjscott813 (VA)

ok.. I kinda thought that the flat area was suppose to be like that..there is also a flattened area on the bottom side. Just thought that possibly there was another attachment missing.. thinking that if I was able to get a hose attached that it would cause a leak. Thank You.

Edited 1 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

A Crescent wrench WOULD need flats on both sides to work.

Author: PlumberManDan (IA)

Easy Fix Replace the vacuum breaker instead of trying to restore it, Look all around the breaker to find an allen set screw, if none is found then take a stiff wire brush and brush the threads around the breaker, Replace the washer with a new one and see if you can tighten the hose on

PlumbCat TM 2003

Plumbermandan

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.