Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Help with natural gas line installation
Author: phil3402 (GA)

I am wanting to add a 10,000 BTU gas range to my home. Trying to figure out the size of line I need. After looking at the charts, I am somewhat concerned if my current gas supply lines are adequate. I assume they are because I have been in my home for 20 years without any issue.

My gas supply line coming into the house is 1.25 in. and is approx 30 ft long. From this line there is a .50 in cooper tubing running approx 30 ft. to my water heater that is 36,000 BTU. Also off of this line is what looks like a 5/8" copper tubing that runs approx 30 ft. to my 110,000 BTU furnace. The current furnace was installed 12 years ago. Both lines are branched off the end of my supply line. I have no idea what the inches of water column is in my house therefore I am not sure if my current piping is correct or what to install for my the range I want.
Two plumbers have looked and said I need a .75" supply line run off the main service for the range. One said he could even even run the .75 line off of a .50" plug in the line. That sounds fishy to me.

Can anyone please assist me in how to move forward.

Edited 6 times.

Re: Help with natural gas line installation
Author: packy (MA)

10,000 btu range ???
it sounds like you have propane rather than natural gas???
if so, it runs at a higher pressure so smaller copper tubing can be used.
3/8 would be plenty for 10,000 btu..

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

You'll want to do a load calculation, adding up the btu's as you go. With a 1 1/4" line you'll have no problem adding the range. Don't run 3/4" pipe from a 1/2" fitting though.

I thought I explained the load in most stating the size of the lines, length of the lines and the BTU's. I am trying to figure out if my current supply is adequate and if I can add the range.

It is natural gas. The range has 10,000 BTU listed on it. Have not purchased it yet because I am trying to determine if my gas lines are adequate to service all I have

Author: steve (CA)

Are you sure about a total 10,000 BTU? That's WAY low of a rating. Each burner on a 20" Amana stove is 7K BTU and most stoves are higher than that. The oven's going to be another 15k-18k BTU.

OOPS. That was for one eye burner. It is a five burner stove. Total BTU's for all burners is 55,000 BTU. It does not list BTU for oven.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

The oven might be electric.

Author: hj (AZ)

If so, that would be a completely different problem to get the necessary amperage.

Author: packy (MA)

since you are working off a 1 1/4 main line, i gonna say tapping off the 1/2 opening and immediately increasing to 3/4 iron pipe is going to be sufficient. the tapping and regulator for the stove are 1/2 inch and the 3/4 pipe will act like a storage tank. keep everything 3/4 including the gas cock. use a high output flex connector rated for 70,000 to 10,000 btu.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Many top ranges have electric ovens with gas stovetop burners.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.