Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Leaking tub drain
Author: Sbarner (WA)

Good morning,

Long time listener,first time caller.

I installed a new bathtub in an upstairs bathroom. After the tub was in, and before the walls were tiled, we tested the drain assembly. Twice. Twice the tub was filled, over-filled to test the overflow, and drained. No leaks, no runs, no errors. My kids have taken about a dozen baths in there since the project has been done, with no problems. i just checked yesterday, and water was dripping off the p-trap. I isolated the problem to where the PVC assembly threads into the copper drain line. It's not a huge leak...about a drip every three seconds as the tub is draining. And the one good thing about this, is that it's dripping onto a concrete floor in the little closet where the furnace and water heater are.

I have very limited access to the whole shebang. The cold air intake for the furnace runs directly underneath the tub (thank you builders in 1963), and there is about a foot between the furnace ducting and the back side of the wall which is filled with water, drain and gas pipes. If I need more access, I have to either cut a whole in the shower liner and wall of the other bathroom upstairs or do something drastic with the furnace ducting. I tried reefing on the slip nut, loosening the nut and re-seating the washer, none of which have helped. I'm thinking that the whole assembly may be in a bind a little bit or the washer is defective. I was wanting to try loosening all the joints, tightening up the drain one first, and then the other two, but I'm worried that I could start a leak where the shoe meets the tee, and I'm even more limited on access to that. I was also thinking of backing the slip nut off, filling the bottom side of the slip nut with silicone, and tightening it down. The option of pulling the whole assembly off to do a new tapered washer isn't really an option as there isn't enough room to pull everything back and pull the assembly up. I think I'd have to unscrew the drain in the tub to get it all out, and I wouldn't be able to get a hand on the shoe to tighten it back down. Any recommendations?

Re: Leaking tub drain
Author: steve_g (CA)

You could try running the nut back and giving it 2 or 3 of wraps of teflon tape. If that doesn't work, how hard would it be to temporarily remove the cold air return?

I'll try the Teflon tape. I was also thinking of putting a bead of plumbers putty in the nut and let it squish out as I tighten it down. As far as the cold air return, it would be doable, but an f'in PITA. It's covered in what I think is asbestos tape, and while I personally don't subscribe to the hype of asbestos, my wife does. It's ran between the floor joists, and I'm not sure it could be removed. I think we'd have to cut it out and somehow figure out how to put it back together all sealed up.

Well, stuffing plumbers putty into the nut seems to have done the trick. I'll keep an eye on it for awhile. Will plumbers putty break down over time and allow the leak to start again?

Author: m & m (MD)

Silicone caulk is your friend on this repair. Loosen the SJ nut and apply it to the threads and gasket and retighten. RBI.

Re: Leaking tub drain clap

Thank you for the response. If the leak shows up again, I will silicone it.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.