Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Is this considered "decorative" plumbing?
Author: sum (FL)

At first glance I thought many of these are just using copper pipe for "wall art", or similar to what some use PVC pipes and fittings to make outdoor furniture. But upon closer inspection, many of these items are actually connected to the supply lines...

Not sure what this is supposed to do.

What do you think of these?

Do architects hire licensed plumbers to do these? Do they need to meet code? Does code worry about copper pipes turning like 36 times to get from point A to point B?

Any of you master plumbers get hired to do these master pieces?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Is this considered "decorative" plumbing?
Author: packy (MA)

clever...

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

They cheated in some of those photos by using gatorbites and press fittings. Copper tubing is not an approved conduit for electrical wiring on that light fixture. smiling smiley Some of those took quite a bit of time to assemble.

Author: vic (CA)

OMG smile I love it. smile

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Cha- Ching !

Best Wishes

Author: hj (AZ)

There is no way anyone would pay our prices to do them. Probably artists working in their lofts being creative.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

Those pro-press fittings aren't cheap.

Author: m & m (MD)

The serpentine contraption next to the shower is a towel warmer. Pretty cool.

m&m yes I also believe it to be a towel hanger/warmer.

But this is a plumbing installation, so unless like hj said it is an artist or DIYer doing this under the radar, if a permit is pulled would this be "to code"? To interrupt the hot water line and put in two additional valves, then to pipe in this contraption?

Looking at the two sinks, the cold and hot lines just merge together - no mixing valve, then a ball valve to open. So the user cannot control the temperature at all. Wouldn't this be a potential scald hazard? Hot and cold cross over too.

And the shower. That ball valve is higher than the shower head. Someone would need to turn on and off that shower by reaching way up.

I don't get it.

Author: steve (CA)

Sum, I think the first picture is a radiator that could double as a towel warmer. There's a thermostatic valve at the base of the right hand pipe. With the ball valve/"shower head" picture, look at the position of the person operating it. It looks like the valve is waist high.

steve: I do not see a thermostatic valve on these two installations.

I see a hot line a cold line and they are TEEd together and a single open/close.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

The 'towel warmer'/radiator is the piping to the left of the black sink.

On the top / left of said piping you will see an (automatic/internal float) air vent fitting.

On the bottom right you will see a 'self contained' thermostatic (air temperature) control valve.

This piping will be using hydronic heating water.

The lower sink with no valves may be controlled with a hidden thermostatic temperature valve including integral checks.

The last pic you show with the one valve is cut off, we don't know if there is a valve on the CW side.

While the 'loops and twirls' may or may not be an aesthetic issue, the principle of well done exposed piping is nothing new.

Hidden from sight but accessible under the fixture control and mixing valves are not a new concept.

This may all be new to you youngsters, many of whom have never seen actually piping installed by tradesmen.

Back circa 1900 most plumbing was actually retrofitted and exposed in pre-existing homes.

? Where was the newfangled 'Crapper' put ? In a handy closet, hence the term water closet.

'google' Thomas Crapper for a good chuckle

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: m & m (MD)

"...Looking at the two sinks, the cold and hot lines just merge together - no mixing valve, then a ball valve to open. So the user cannot control the temperature at all. Wouldn't this be a potential scald hazard? Hot and cold cross over too."

Sum, that is all any faucet does, just in a less obvious way. A valve is opened to allow water to flow to an open ended terminal. On a mixing faucet, two valves are operated to allow hot, cold, or both to flow. As long as the terminal is open ended, unsubmerged, and non-valved itself, there are no issues.

.... plumbing fixture theory 101 ....

smiling smiley

m & m, I understand, but I am still puzzled because these are so different from what I am used to seeing on the hot and cold controls for a sink faucet.

I have only seen two kinds. Either you have two controls, one for hot, one for cold, and the users can turn on/off each control to adjust the final temperature or volume of the water coming out of the spout. Or, you have a single mixer where the hot, cold, and an outlet, either pressure balanced or thermostatic, to give control of the water.

In the pictures I posted above, I see neither.

First picture to the right, I assume the two lines running along the back wall are hot and one cold supply lines. Then they made a turn and runs to the left side of the sink. I circled and enlarged the spot where they appear to merge. The ball valve is downstream of that merged point.

We couldn't see the entirety of the pipes. Some of it were obscured by the sink itself, but I think it goes like this.

So as a user if I turn on the ball valve, first I have no way to control the temperature right? If I wanted only cold water I can't, unless somewhere unseen there is another valve I can turn the hot water off individually. Furthermore, if there is a kitchen, or another bath, or a hosebib on the other side of that wall, with cold turned on, wouldn't that drop the pressure of the cold line and possibly cause a cross over from hot to cold?

The other picture to the left is essentially the same.

I do not see any individual valve on the hot and cold lines. Although the zoomed in view is blurry, it looks to me like they just merged the two lines into a tee, or possibly a dropped ear tee, then a line straight out terminated with a hose bib.

Doesn't make sense to me, unless there are controls outside of the camera frame, or they are cleverly concealed. Or am I missing something fundamental?

[www.bing.com]

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.