Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Water keeps flowing
Author: zorro (IL)

Whenever I shut the water off at the main in the basement, the water eventually stops everywhere except the basement sink (or so I thought). I've been waiting for over 3.5 hours for the water to stop in the half bathroom sink on the 1st floor but it's still flowing even though it has stopped in the 2nd floor and in the kitchen sink on the 1st floor. The flowing water is mostly hot water but there is still some cold also. I just turned the water heater to pilot although I don't know if that was necessary. This sink has no local shutoff valves which I plan to install, Any suggestions or thoughts?

Edited 1 times.

Re: Water keeps flowing
Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Keep all the faucets open. Flush the toilets. Ensure the water heater does not turn on. Wait for an hour. If, after all this, the basement faucet continues to drip, then your main shutoff is not turning the water completely off.

The leak sentry on your water meter will indicate any flow large enough to stream continously from the faucet. If the flow from the faucet is so small that it breaks up into drops, the leak sentry will not catch it because it is not sensitive enough for that.

Author: Howman69 (CA)

sounds like your main water shut off is a gate valve, this is a common problem with them, your best bet would be to replace rthat also to a ball valve as they are very dependable and then when doing the stops at the sink you should use a 1/4 turn type instead of multi turn as the 1/4 turn is also like a ball vale and very dependible

Author: zorro (IL)

What I don't understand is why the water shuts off in 3 sinks but not in 2 sinks. Also, it's not just dripping but a continuous flow. It has been suggested to me that there could be another shut off valve somewhere but I have no idea if that could be true or how to find it if it is.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

Water will always find its way to the lowest sinks, which is why your lower sinks leak.

Do you have a water meter? If so, this leak will show up on its leak sentry.

Author: Howman69 (CA)

Exactly the water will go to the lowest point and a gate valve comes in different quality brands and models and some that city or county will use are good quality but private contractors will use what ever is cheapest a lot of times so if you have a bad gate valve then is very likely to have a pretty good stream of water flow. there is a option if you can not find the other one, and I say other one because you should have one where your water main connects to the public water source out by the property line and before there were meters installed in a lot of CA county's there would be a curb stop they connect to and it is supposed to have a sleeve in the ground leading to the curb stop allowing you to open a lid and access the valve but for one reason or another a lot just got buried over and would need the water company to come out and locate it fot you. If you dont want to go that way, If you have threaded connection then after the gate valve you can simply add a bll valve and will make a dependable shut off

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.