Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Samsung range gas connection
Author: JimRD (CA)

I'm having trouble connecting a Samsung gas range. The connection at the range is a female NPT rather than a male NPT. So if I insert the NPT side of a flex connector adapter into the range, I can't connect the flex connector to the other (MIP) side of the adapter because the flex connector has flare fittings. Any suggestions? Here's a pic of the manual- thanks.

Re: Samsung range gas connection
Author: steve (CA)

That adapter shown in the drawing is backwards. The drawing shows the flare end going into the regulator and the male NPT going to the appliance connector. The fitting you have should be flare on one end for the appliance connector and male NPT for the regulator.

Author: packy (MA)

WOW, the person who made that drawing should be fired.. they obviously know nothing about what they are doing..
as steve said, the adapter is just what it says. pipe size adapting to flare size. otherwise it would be called a nipple..

Author: hj (AZ)

Your question does not make sense, because the "adapter" does NOT have pupe connections on both sides of it. One end is pipe thread and the other is flare, which is what the drawing is trying to convey.

Thanks to all for the feedback thumbs

Thanks to all for the feedback. I think I'm using the terms wrong. The adapter is flare on one side and pipe on the other. I think I need flare for both the regulator and the flex connector, hence the dilemma. Or maybe I'm missing something obvious, which wouldn't be the first time. I appreciate the help.

Edited 1 times.

The regulator should not be a flare connection. It should have a female NPT inlet.

Thanks Steve big grin

Thanks Steve. I was thinking that flare meant NPT, but it looks like I need an adapter that's flare on one side and NPT on the other. This doesn't seem to be a common adapter as I've been to two plumbing supply houses and a place called Appliance Parts Distributor which seems to have just about everything but they only had flare/pipe adapters.

Edit: Found one online. It seems I already have the correct adapter, the one that came with the flex connnector.

What threw me off is #2 in the pic below which seems to state that the flare end goes into the regulator. Also, I tried to put the NPT side of the adapter into the regulator and it didn't seem to want to go in. I didn't want to force it because I thought it was supposed to be flare. The female threads of the regulator seem to taper such that the NPT end won't fit in, but maybe I'm wrong. Because I thought it was flare I didn't apply pipe thread compound, but maybe if I use compound it'll screw right in.

Edited 4 times.

Author: packy (MA)

the instructions you show are confusing in the way they are written. as professionals we all know that when it says to install the adapter into the regulator, the male pipe size end of the adapter goes into the female pipe size opening on the regulator.
the female end of the flexable supply is probably 5/8 flare which may be where you are getting mixed up..

A regulator for a natural gas range would NEVER have a flare connection thread. It is probably 1/2" pipe, but could be 3/4".

You are making the process a LOT more dificult than it has to be.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

as per 2.

the regulator is NPT (national pipe taper) female

the flare adapter is NPT male x flare male

the NPT male end of the flare adapter screws into the regulator's NPT female tapping with pipe dope applied

Steve's pic and explanation is correct

the NPT end of the adapters goes into the pipe fittings of the valve and the regulator with dope

the flare end attaches to the 'hose'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Thanks everyone smileys with beer

Sincerely appreciate all the replies, including the pic Steve, thanks. The pic in the manual which shows the flare end going into the regulator got me. Live and learn. Thanks everyone.

Edited 1 times.

I think that was more your interpretation of what was being shown, rather that what it actually was.

I think that's fair, hj. It shows the value of getting input from other people because I got stuck on an assumption and couldn't get unstuck on my own. It's very kind of the experienced folks on this forum to take the time to help people out, and sincerely appreciated.

Re: Thanks Steve big grin
Author: Smflyboy1 (TX)

Hi Jim, I am having the same exact problem as you did. Any chance you could tell me which part you used and where you found it? Also, the tiny little brass piece that comes on the inlet that had a red plastic cap on it..did you use that brass piece or did you remove it? This has been a nightmare. Why didn't Samsung just use the usual connections?? Thx!

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.