Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 how to secure hose spigot
Author: bumpus48 (MA)

Hi, everybody.

Wow, this forum is really invaluable!

I have this hose spigot (dropbox link to pic attached) that protrudes through a stone facade. As shown in the pic, it used to be secured to the house with some kind of caulking but it's come loose over the years and is really loose. Unfortunately, there's no way to screw it to the stone wall. Can anyone tell me what kind of caulking/cement product I can use to secure it?

[www.dropbox.com]

Thanks!

Edited 1 times.

Re: how to secure hose spigot
Author: bernabeu (SC)

you purchase and install a 'hose bibb mounting plate'

cut a notch from the bottom of the plate if your bibb can not be removed

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 2 times.

Thanks for replying.

Unfortunately, there's no way for me to screw a mounting plate to the stone wall. It's hard to tell from the photo I posted, but the spigot pokes out of a small gap between the stones. There's no mortar or anything that will accept screws.

Author: m & m (MD)

If it is connected to copper pipe on the inside, you could try to anchor the pipe from the other end. A hydrant clamp is actually made for that purpose.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd fill the void with hydraulic cement and use Tapcon screws.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

You secure something larger to the stone, and attach the sill cock to it. A masonry bit and a hammer drill will drill into stone. You have to consider whatever you use. It has to stand up to the elements. You'll have to use some ingenuity.

Ah! It never occurred to me to try to secure it from the inside! The good thing is this hose spigot has a utility closet on the other side, with the copper pipe exposed.

I just stumbled on a "hose bibb anchor" on Amazon, which looks like it may solve my problem. Anyone have experience with these? It looks straightforward enough to install, even for a novice like me.

Edited 2 times.

Author: packy (MA)

that will hold it just fine. i'd put a half dozen wraps of electrical tape around the copper tubing to keep the steel teeth from digging into the soft copper over the years.

Re: how to secure hose spigot smileys with beer

Thank you for the suggestions, everybody. I'm going to give the hose bibb anchor a try.

Edited 1 times.

rent a 'hammer drill'

use a 1/4" masonry bit to drill for plastic anchors

use stainless screws

done

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

if his wall stones are granite like we have here on cape ann, the masonary bit will be useless.

Author: george 7941 (Canada)

bernabeu, it is not always that simple. Some stones are so hard that a hammer drill will not penetrate. Sometimes even a rotary hammer will not work.

What does work is a diamond tipped drill bit

then rent/buy a 1/4" diamond tipped bit

I am sure the OP's local hardware store will give advice

NOT the big box store, but the local guy

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.