Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Septic tank and drain line trouble
Author: Kuria7 (SC)

Hi. We have had trouble with our septic for the last two years. Last year we paid a company to come and clear the main drain with the camera and they found female products clogging the line and cleared it. It worked fine for a while then backed up again. So we called a sewer company and had the septic pumped out. Now it is stopping up and overflowing at the overflow again especially when I use the kitchen sink. I bought a drill powered 25ft snake and have ran it down the overflow towards the septic and the water will go down but eventually fills up again. We don't have a lot of money to spend, so I don't know if I should rent a commercial drain cleaner and try to clean myself or what. My husband thinks we should have septic pumped again, but since we just did that last year, I think it will just buy time and waste money. There is not any standing water in my yard around drain field either. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Septic tank and drain line trouble
Author: hj (AZ)

The problem is that a plugged drain line and a full septic tank have EXACTLY the same symptoms so until you eliminate one of them we cannot advise you. BUT, your 'drill powered snake" is completely USELESS regardless of which problem you have.

Author: Kuria7 (SC)

Well my drill powered snake has been helping so I wouldn't say completely useless. If I just had my septic pumped a year ago, isn't it a waste of money to do that again. My understanding is you should only need pumping every 3-5 years. Which Avenue would YOU try first on correcting the problem? That is the advice I was asking.

Author: hj (AZ)

Personally, I would try a "proper sized" snake in the drain, because it is usually the easiest and cheapest first step.

Author: zookatooya (FL)

You may have a "digestion" problem in your septic tank and there are many good products to help boost the anaerobic bacteria level. Some are as easy as flushing them into the system.

The other remedy is more costly, is to add an aerator to the tank, which will help with busting up solids so that they can
get from the tank into the drain field.

Hope this helps.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd open up the tank and see if the water is over the inlet or outlet or both.

Author: m & m (MD)

What is essential is a proper diagnosis. If you can 'catch' the water level in the tank between the outlet level wnd the inlet level, then you can be pretty sure the problem is on the drainfield end.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

Private Septic System, are living breathing object... requiring a degree of knowledge and tangible experience. Just as a fruit tree that has been struck by lightening, will continue to produce, while damage, a damaged septic system will continue to process waste..... until it stops living and then backups will occur.

The internet does not offer the same benefits of an on-site inspection and evaluation. Speculation, based on the information you provide may or may not resolve the issues.

When flushing a septic system, the drain field should also be inspected to be sure it is not clogged with solids from the past. Guessing won't help. While the tank is being drained, the drain that feeds the tank should be flushed to ensure an good flow and blockages removed. While the tank is empty, it can be inspected to verify the integrity of the holding (septic) tank is good.

Lastly, you have to be careful what you place into the tank. Human waste and grey waters. Anything else could stop the "breakdown process." In some areas, annual draining and cleaning is a must.
Best Wishes

Author: dan12 (Non-US)

Many prospective buyers might hesitate to buy a property if the septic tank inspection fails. To avoid this, the property seller has to do quick fixes to the septic system. Once this is done, there can be another inspection. Some common scenarios are:

1. The seller replaces the leach field or the septic tank
2. The seller replaces the whole system
3. The seller does the necessary repairs
4. The seller credits the buyer the money to do repairs after the transaction has been completed
5. The buyer can renegotiate the price of the property.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.