Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 P trap Question
Author: Stella11 (FL)

Our tub/shower unit is on a concrete slab. I want to install a tile shower with center drain. Upon removal of tub and digging out of sand below tub drain I do not see a p trap. Our center drain will be located about 31 inches from existing drain. I removed concrete and created a channel from existing drain to new tile shower drain location. Should I install p trap below shower. I have enough room now that I have removed the concrete and sand. . How do I know there is not a p trap already installed down the line somewhere that I cannot see.
Would this new trap cause a problem if there is already one installed somewhere.
Never had smell from old shower/tub unit and there is a stack that runs up in the wall right near our old tub. It goes into concrete and I can assume it is attached to this waste line buried below concrete level.

Quick response appreciated as the weekend is here. Thanks

Re: P trap Question
Author: hj (AZ)

It is highly unlikely that you do NOT have a "P" trap, but if not you do need one. However, if you install one and there is already one under the floor, the shower will NOT drain properly, if at all.

How can I find out for sure. Would the smell be really bad. We live in gated community where homes were all built in 2000. Is smell the best indicator. As we have never had that. Just thought odd not seeing p trap right below old tub.

Author: packy (MA)

you either keep digging around to see where that pipe goes or have someone send a sewer camera down the open pipe.

I will try digging a bit more tonight. Unfortunately it is below slab and I only have small opening where the sand keeps filling in when I dig?. Is it safe to say if I never had issues with tub the way it is configured that I won't have issues with shower configured the way it is.
Never any odor. Thanks

Author: packy (MA)

when you venture into the unknown, no statement you make can be a safe bet.
the last thing you want is to get the shower in and finished then find out there is a problem.
i'm not gonna tell you to go ahead. but, it is your house and if you want to take a chance... well, extend the pipe over to where it will be located, run water from a hose down it to make sure it drain, leave it for a few days to see if you get any smell and from there you are on your own..

Re: P trap Question clap

Appreciate your input and advice.. Did spend about 1 hour digging tonight. Had to break out some additional concrete but I did find that p trap. Think I can move forward with out worry.
Thank you. Joe

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Joe, the trap needs to be directly below the shower drain, so the existing one would need to be moved.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Correct, it's not right just to leave the trap where it is and have a horizontal pipe run from it over to the new drain.

Author: steve_g (CA)

Sorry if I'm tossing a fly into your ointment, but the trap arm on a tub is usually 1½" and a shower should have a 2" drain. The overflow (your bathroom) is a lot lower.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.