Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Advice to solve random pipe knocking sound
Author: brb408wpb (MD)

Near the end of the winter, I noticed an occasional pipe knocking sound, which sounds like a loose pipe hitting wood. With finished walls and a finished basement, I can't locate the source of noise. Too date I've tried a couple of fixes:

1. Drop the pressure using the inside regulator. The gauge I used was so-so, but I think I dropped the water pressure from 55 psi to 45 psi. The pressure was fairly solid, now a bit diminished but still ok. That seemed to take care of the problem for a week or so, then it came back.

2. Turned off the main water valve coming into the house. Opened the highest and lowest faucets to drain water for 30 minutes. Closed the lowest faucet, refilled the pipes, let air out from all faucets. Again, this seemed to solve the problem for a few days, then a week or so later, I can hear it again.

House built 1998. Mostly copper pipes. PVC pipes used in the bathroom of a finished basement. Gas water heater with no pressure tank on it.

Anything else I should try? I'd rather not start popping holes in the wall smiling smiley

Thanks
Bruce

Edited 1 times.

Re: Advice to solve random pipe knocking sound
Author: srloren (CA)

The mystery here is that after draining and refilling, it was silent for a few days. But your installation includes both copper and PVC material. PVC expands more than copper. I once had an ABS (form of plastic) waste pipe that made a popping sound as hot water was drained through it. It turned out that there was no room for expansion, it expanded to rub against the wood joist or plate and this expansion caused the pipe to make the sound which was annoying.

Re: Advice to solve random pipe knocking sound
Author: Paul48 (CT)

Was any construction done, just prior to this noise starting? Even something you might think is unrelated.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.