Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Siliconized caulk?
Author: DanaOH (OH)

Installing new toe kick drain stop in new "plastic" tub. Toe Kick instruction advises against plumbers putty with plastic. The flange on the toe kick is not plastic, but the tub is ( i guess) considered plastic..Guy at store gives me siliconized caulk, I install, wait 24 hours. test. it leaks - reason being ( i think) i didnt get the flange tightened down enough. So when I tear it apart the caulk is like sour creme - never set up.. SO i clean it all up and try again. I tighten it down ALL the WAY this time! Now, how long do I need to wait before I test again? sorry for my ignorance, rank amateur stumbling thru. Thanks in advance for advise

Re: Siliconized caulk?
Author: packy (MA)

wrong kind of caulking. must be 100% silicone. that is not what he sold you..
only answer is to take it apart, clean it up and use the correct product.
as a side note, there is plumbers putty approved for use with plastic products.

Thank you smile

Thank you. I will follow your timely advice,

Edited 1 times.

let me ask you this. If you were me. What would you use? 100% silicone or plastic approved plumbers putty?

Author: packy (MA)

dana, being that this is 2016 not 1954, i would use 100% silicone 100% of the time..
anyway, when you are done, there will always be a use for the extra silicone around the house. as for plumbers putty, what are you going to do with the left over?

Thanks for your help clap

Thanks, I redid it with 100% silicone. waiting overnight and test tomorrow, thanks for your help

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.