Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 kohler toilet issues
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

just moved into a home as a rental. (yes I know the landlord should address the plumbing issues, but want to try to solve it myself). The toilet does not flush on the first try, but on the second attempt it does flush barely.

1. Not sure how to adjust the Kohler fill valve. Right now the level sits almost 2 inches below the overflow tube.
2. the flapper drops way too quickly. I'm wondering if I can find a replacement flapper with a built in float.
3. Did the 5 gallon bucket test and it flushed no problems. I am wondering if the jets are weak or plugged? Or if I get the water level higher the weak flush will go away. I am assuming I can replace this Kohler fill valve with a fluidmaster 400

thanks for any helpful input smiling smiley

[i401.photobucket.com]

Re: kohler toilet issues
Author: packy (MA)

[www.youtube.com]

Thanks Packy big grin

Thanks Packy for quick response. wow.
so it's an adjustable Korky fill valve.
attempting to raise it up now.
Wonder what trick you have to check to see if jets are clear and functioning?

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

If the water level in the tank is 2" under the overflow, that's enough to cause a weak flush.

Yes, that's what I thought too. So as expected when you start a plumbing project be prepared for obstacles.
The old shut off valve does not work so I have to find out how to shut down the house main (which is a really good idea to know where that's at!). Also from inspection underneath the bathroom in the basement the seal between the toilet and cast iron flange is broken. aye yay yay.

[i401.photobucket.com]

set new inside flange. drilled and tapped old CI flange and secure with stainless screws

[i401.photobucket.com]

still having the same problem with the flapper falling down before the water has a chance to empty into the bowl. Trying to find a compatible Kohler flapper with built in float.

Edited 3 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.