Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 DWV 45 60 or 90 ???
Author: 216Ryan (OH)

I am connecting a half bath from my second floor to the main line in the basement. 4" PVC running straight down. Once I enter the basement I need to run horizontal about 7 feet. It is behind my furnace so head clearance is not an issue. My question is what is a better option: 45 over and down to a wye (bend and clean out), 60 over to a 60 then straight down to wye (clean out) or 90 over to a 90 then down to the wye.

Thanks

Re: DWV 45 60 or 90 ???
Author: steve (CA)

If you not concerned with taking up the wall space, use the 45*/wye.

Author: hj (AZ)

Going 7' horizontal from a 45 means it has to DROP 7' between the 45 or Y.

I just measured, centerline to centerline is exactly 6'. Would you recommend the 60* to vertical or 90* to vertical? I guess my question would be do you the most amount of slope possible in this situation?

Edited 1 times.

Author: steve (CA)

Can you drop down about foot below the floor before 45ing over to the wye, or extend the wye(or combo) over 6' and drop straight down into it?

Author: hj (AZ)

I do not know how you are measuring, but the two 60s will take the least elevation and still give you a good slope.

The drop from upstairs is about two feet below the floor now. I have room to shorten it if needed. I am making my connection to the floor at a flush clean out. I planned on using a male adapter to a wye to keep a clean out then either going vertical to catch my horizontal run or trying to use the branch of the wye to pick it up and use the straight through as my clean out. That's why I was curious about the best slope.

Author: packy (MA)

don't use the side of the 'y' for a cleanout. use a cleanout tee so you can clean both directions.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.