Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Destroyed plastic putty plate
Author: HapE-Home (OH)

I just removed a rather new (less than 2 years) old faucet I had installed in my bathroom "FACELIFT" that I had purchased to use in my bathroom "REMODEL". I saved the pop-up to use in the new vanity so no problems there, but when I carefully took apart the faucet and saved all the pieces to reinstall on the new vanity I discovered that the plastic plate that installed between the faucet and the surface of the vanity was ruined and not reusable as it had apparently done the job it was designed for. I searched for a replacement part and found one that looked like it but the reviews I found on the so-called original replacement said it was only a piece of felt, not the plastic. One or two also had some choice words on the usefulness of this device.
So my actual plumbing question is: Why do I need this thing? Can't I just use a carefully placed snake of plumbers putty around the base before setting it? Or alternatively use some lovely GE silicone caulk? Isn't that plate just there to help the seal between the surfaces? Help please, I am a pretty decent DIYer, but I need professional plumbing advice.

Re: Destroyed plastic putty plate
Author: packy (MA)

"Isn't that plate just there to help the seal between the surfaces?"
yes it is.
it does keep the faucet elevated a touch to keep water from affecting it.
i use the sheild when it is there.
i would use silicone if it is not there.
i make 3 circles of silicone. 1 around each faucet hole in the sink. then i make a straight line in the front and the back connecting the circles.
tighten securly and immediately wipe off the excess.
remember, some widespread faucets (3 seperate pieces) do not have putty sheilds and they survive just nicely.

Thank you very much... thumbs
Author: HapE-Home (OH)

PackyMac,
Thank you very much for the excellent instructions. They make good sense to me. I probably would have neglegted to put the silicone circles in place and would have just put it around the fixture. However, the original gasket did have a raised area around the three holes you mention as well as around the outside so that is exactly what I will do. The replacement piece looks absolutely flat.
[www.deltafaucet.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: Destroyed plastic putty plate
Author: packy (MA)

yeah, that replacement is made from some kind of rubber. thia way they can make one that fits about all their faucets.
silicone will do the same thing.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.