Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Advice please. Think i am going non union
Author: Ar15 (WY)

I am a licensed journeyman plumber. I apprenticed and worked union for almost 11 years, I am 32 now. Work has slowed to a stop for 4 months now. Im thinking i should go non union as i see all kinds of service companies hiring with good wages and steady work. But I have no service or residential experience. I learn fast, how long would i typically need to be trained before im paid top out wages? What happens with all the time and credits i got through the union? I dont want to work until im 70. Will i get in trouble and fined for going non union? Im sure work will pick up but for how long. Just wondering if anyone else has had to do this or has advice because it's hard leaving after putting in so much time. But it's even harder going through all my savings i have put away while i wait for a call.

Re: Advice please. Think i am going non union
Author: hj (AZ)

1. You WILL be fined and "kicked out" of the union
2. You will get MINIMUM benefits when you do retire
3. Service and repair work can take a lot of time before you get proficient because of all the possible brands to work on.
4. You will probably NOT be accepted back into the union, unless they are desperate to try and get rid of all the non-union workers possible.

Edited 1 times.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

ditto

find another job to 'tide you over'

I drove a taxi cab when 'times were tough'

when things picked up, back to work

retired at 57 to Myrtle beach area

THEN scabbed for a couple bucks until SS

never regretted maintaining membership, even during the 'tough seventies'

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Well, THIS local did not want me, or any other Chicago U.A. 130 plumbers so they tried their best to get me to move back there. They could not get my employer to drop me and put me back on the bench so they had to do an "end around", but finally they were able to get 130 to fine and sanction me, so I just opened my own company, and told them where they could stick their fines.

Thanks for the info hj thumbs
Author: Ar15 (WY)

Thanks for the info hj. I am from Wy but moved to AZ and was able to get into 469 so life was good. I will definitely hold out after reading your post. I've been on furlough with my shop i think im gonna ask for layoff and get on the list .I am doing carpentry for now but dont make much.

Edited 2 times.

I guess they like WY plumbers better than chicago ones. They did everything the could, including changing the rules, to keep me from qualifying to transfer into 469.

Did you get the required UA 'travel card' ?

Did you deposit same with the 'new' local ?

Then wait the REQUISITE 3 years ?

SIMPLE - just follow the rules tongue sticking out smiley

All of the above, but when I was almost to 3 years, they changed it to five years. Like I said, they did not want Chicago plumbers. Someone asked one of the officials why and he said, "because they think they are the best plumbers in the country". To which he replied, "But, they are."

The UA did NOT change from 3 to 5 years.

The 'local' merely conned you.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.