Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Washing machine standpipe venting
Author: clancy2323 (MI)

I am a brand new home owner and first time poster! This is my first major project and I'm naturally struggling to comprehend all of the code (Michigan, US). So, I apologize in advance for my ignorance in plumbing smiling smiley. I really appreciate the help.

In my new house, there are not currently provisions to drain the washing machine. I would like to locate it in the basement, right near the main drain pipe coming from the upstairs. If acceptable, I'd like to splice into this drain pipe and add a standpipe for the washer. There is also a sink drain from the basement bathroom that is spliced into the main drain at the same location that I'm considering. I've found the appropriate dimensions for the standpipe/trap. From my understanding, the drain needs to be 2" pipe with the P-trap 6-18" inches above floor, a standpipe height of 18" to 30", and with the washer indirect connection located above the washer fill line. However, I'm very unsure about venting. I've seen in the code that every trap must be sufficiently vented but I'm struggling to comprehend all of my possibilities for venting this. Obviously, in a perfect world, I would run a vent all the way back up to the roof. However, I'm not sure how feasible this is without tearing into my whole house. Can I use an AAV? Any other creative ways that I can vent this?

I have drawn a quick diagram of my situation. Can anyone be so kind as to help teach me what an appropriate vent for this setup would be?

Thank you SO much.

Edited 2 times.

Re: Washing machine standpipe venting
Author: exapprentice30 (MA)

Your sink/toilet should have a vent you could tie into or you may have a future vent capped off in the ceiling. A aav may work if they are legal in your state but they only vent one way and need to be replaced in the future. In my state we can use a ty on it back for a vent for a horizontal drain and other states it must be a wye and 45 or a combo. To replace or add a fitting to your stack you may have to use no hub coupling s if you don t have any movement in the pipe. If your not using the aav you can add a cleanout fitting too.

Re: Washing machine standpipe venting
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Your picture is close being right, the tee for the washing machine needs to be lower than the tee for the sink, the trap and AAV is correct.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.