Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 odd trap vent configuration
Author: kstroze (TX)

Underneath one of my upstairs sinks there is a connection between the trap and sink basin to what seems to be a plumbing vent (similar connection to how my dishwasher is plumbed to kitchen sink drain). I say this because when the wind blows from a certain direction I get a flow of air out of the my sink basin into the bathroom (no bad odor though) along with various gurgling sounds. If I remove this connection water drips out from the wall/vent side connection (maybe only when wind blows, not sure). This is the only type of connection on any of the sinks in our house. My home was built about 20 years ago.

Why would someone make this type of connection and/or what is it's purpose ?

Can I just cap off this vent connection at the wall ?

Thanks for any replies,
Kirk

Re: odd trap vent configuration
Author: hj (AZ)

It could be connected to the air conditioner for condensate drainage, but we would have to see a photo of it to see how it is connected to the drain.

Interesting suggestion - have not investigated that. Will try to post a pic of the connections under the sink early this evening.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Capping it off would likely be a bad idea. It is serving a purpose.

Here is the pic of the arrangement under the sink: [tinyurl.com]

Turns out it was a bad idea.

Before work yesterday I pulled out the black flexible pipe in the pic and put a cap on the outlet at the wall. When I came home, had a slow drip coming from the seam between two drywall sheets in the ceiling downstairs. The actual location of the drip in the downstairs ceiling was not below the upstairs sink so the water likely ran from the leak location to the drip location, pooled and then came through the seam.

When I saw this I removed the cap on the outlet under the sink I had placed that morning. I expected a rush of water, but only a dribble came out. Going up into the attic, I traced the drain line from the air conditioner to where it turns down to go between the walls. Very near this location is a plumbing roof vent, all of which is in the right location for this sink. So it seems likely that the black flexible pipe in the pic is acting as a connection to the air conditioner drain line.

I put the black flexible pipe back in place last night and this morning there was no more dripping from the downstairs ceiling and the spot seemed on it's way to drying.

There are a couple mysteries, in all this to me:
1. Why is there an air flow *out* of wall connection, i.e. out of the air conditioner drain line, for the black flexible pipe ? I suppose I could imagine some wind pattern creating a pressure differential between the attic and the inside of the house that would drive an air flow. Other possibility ? An unseen connection to a plumbing roof vent ?

2. While I had the outlet capped off, the air conditioner drain line water seems to have escaped to leak onto the downstairs ceiling (no large volume of water when I took the under sink cap off as if a long line had backed-upd, ceiling drip stops when I replaced black pipe). But this seems to imply that the drain line has an open path that is apparently behind drywall. True ? I'm not a plumber but if that's the case it seems like a bad idea.

I'd be interested in any thoughts on why there is an air flow out of the air conditioner drain line and how the air conditioner condensation water could have escaped to form the leak through the downstairs ceiling.

Thanks in advance.

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.