Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Should I regenerate a new water softener upon install?
Author: kumba (FL)

Just installed my 48K water softener with a Flexk 5600SXT. The one question I have and I don't seem to be able to find noted anywhere is do I need to manually initiate a regeneration cycle.

I've dumped 120-lbs of salt into the brine tank and put 5-6 gallons of water on top of it as per the instructions, followed the programming instructions for the valve and all is set.

I just don't know, and am probably over-thinking it, if the resin comes pre-charged or must be generated. If it is recommended (or required) to manually regenerate it, how long should the brine tank sit before I do that so there's a good brine solution for it to use?

Re: Should I regenerate a new water softener upon install?
Author: m & m (MD)

You can if you'd like to become acquainted with the cycle workings but it is not necessary; the resin is ready to soften from the start.

Well, I'll probably do it after the brine sits for an hour. I need to prime the trap and check everything for leaks anyways.

Author: PA_Plumber (PA)

After installing a water softener, I will run the system through a cycle only stopping for a few seconds in each position to make sure the head is working properly. Then I set the head to regenerate that night to make sure everything is 100%.

Author: hj (AZ)

One reason for doing it would be to flush all the "fines" out of the unit and resin bed.

Re: Should I regenerate a new water softener upon install? smile

Ran through a cycle and no leaks. Got a hell of a lot more are out of it during the backwash then I seemed to get out of it when filling it. No clue where the water level is as I can't see it but it sucked down what was in the tank so I know that's all working.

Guess it's time to get the water tested again and verify all the hard work. smiling smiley

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

The backwash includes a lot more water than whats in the brine tank- that is only a small portion.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.