Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Does this look like an inside cleanout?
Author: reluctantdiyer (MD)

The cast iron vertical pipe in back of picture I think is the main sewer stack. There is something near the bottom and wonder if this is an access for cleanout and if so at which side looks like may have the removable plug. There is something right at the top but unfortunately don't have a better picture of what it is. It is inside drywall in basement and to the right is the bathroom. The ABS pipe in front I believe is the vent stack. The horizontal pipe along the bottom connecting with the sewer stack just below what I think may be the cleanout is the bathroom sink drain.

Re: Does this look like an inside cleanout?
Author: m & m (MD)

If there is a cleanout there, I can't see it in the photo.

Author: hj (AZ)

I do not see anything that looks like a cleanout plug. In fact, according to your picture, that pipe at the bottom looks like it is connecting the two risers together, which would normally be a major no-no.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

deleted

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Actually the angle of that picture does not show the whole story, the pipe along the bottom as it comes towards the camera turns up before it reaches the vent stack then hits a T where the sink drain connects to, then it continues up for a bit then connects at a T at the vent pipe. If that makes any sense. I posted a picture of this a month or so ago when I was having trouble snaking the sink and it first went up the vent until I got a drop head auger from advice here, then it went down and worked.

So what is this section that I circled?

Author: steve (CA)

That's a hub in the tee fitting. It's there for the pipe above to sit inside and then the gap around the pipe gets packed with oakum and lead. Just like the hub below the ABS pipe.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.