Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Installed new acrylic tub - apron hangs 1/2" over subfloor
Author: jimson (NE)

Hello,
I am remodeling a bathroom, and installed my first tub that required a mortar bed. I've worked with mortar/cement, before, but not under a tub. Anyway, the tub is part of a shower wall combo, and is an American Standard Model 2647.

As part of the instructions, I built a 2x4 skirt at the listed height, and made sure it was level. The plan was to sit the tub down on it, see where things were, then lift back up and build mortar bed under it. Well, the tub went in tight enough, that I worried about damaging it, pulling it back up. So, we threw the mortar bed under it, set it down, checked level, walked away.

I failed to notice the apron was 1/2" above the subfloor, and I left it to dry for two days. Came back to check it, and noticed the 1/2". The tub bottom is very solid, and I checked that the edges are all seated on the skirt.

I'm worried about the 1/2", though. Should I be?

Thanks,
Jim

Re: Installed new acrylic tub - apron hangs 1/2" over subfloor
Author: hj (AZ)

The apron supports the front ledge so you need "something" under it when someone sits on the rim. What is your finish flooring going to be?

Author: bernabeu (SC)

NOW it will be tiled with 1/2 mortar board installed UNDER the skirt

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Author: Paul48 (CT)

It's not level. It can't be. Good luck taking it out.

Thanks all for the help! smiling smiley
Author: jimson (NE)

I called American Standard, and they stated the same. When I install new tile floor, I will be putting 1/2 Hardiebacker board in, now, to support the front apron.

BTW, the tub IS level, all around. I made sure of that, before leaving it to dry.

Thanks all for the help!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks all for the help! smiling smiley
Author: Paul48 (CT)

If it's level all the way around, it's above your "skirt", also. You'll need to shim there as well, or your caulk will crack, constantly.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.