Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Advice on configuring Tub and Shower plumbing, diverters
Author: KATHYHENION (VA)

Hi There!

I'm remodeling a bathroom and putting in a jetted tub. The layout is a bit odd and I need advice on how to configure the plumbing to do what I want it to do.

Here's the deal.

I'm putting in a 66" alcove jetted tub. The wall it is on is 80", so on either end of the tub, a 7" wide ledge will fill the extra space and provide a mounting place for the faucet.

I want to use a Roman Tub Faucet, mounted on the ledge on the right end of the tub. The drain is at this end.

I would like to use a 4 hole Faucet with a hand shower. Having separate knobs for hot and cold is important, instead of the single lever control.
This faucet has a pull up knob on the spout to divert water to the hand shower.
Here is the faucet I want to use.
Pfister Carnegie Roman Tub Filler Faucet with Hand Shower Polished Chrome Faucet Roman Tub Double Handle RT6-4WEC

The tricky part is I also want a normal wall mounted shower head, but located on the left hand wall, opposite the faucet.

I'm assuming I need a separate diverter valve and knob to direct water to the regular shower head.

This is probably simple, but the extra diverter thing and where to put it is throwing me.

This is the rough in valve that is recommended for the 4 hole Roman Tub Faucet.
Pfister 1/2 in. High Flow Rough-In Valve Only 0X6-440R

The hot and cold water supply lines run to the hot and cold faucets.
The hand shower hose connects to the outlet on the bottom of the valve.

My question is how and where would I connect the regular shower head into this and where would the diverter valve and knob be located?

And what kind of diverter valve would I need? I've seen 2 valve and 3 valve, etc. and don't know the difference.

I'd really appreciate the exact Pfister part name and product number of anything recommended, if possible.

If it matters, we're using Pex.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Re: Advice on configuring Tub and Shower plumbing, diverters
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The best thing to do would be to use another faucet for the wall shower. You could come off the bottom of the spout where the hand shower connects, pipe that to a diverter and use it to divert between the hand shower and wall shower, but the opening is so small I feel sure you won't be satisfied with the amount of water from the wall shower.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.