Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 water pressure after the PRV
Author: MOONER (IN)

Good day. I have a PRV set at 80 psi; from what I know PRV sets a limit to incoming water before entering the internal piping of the home and at the same time maintain a constant pressure going into the pipes; Correct me if I'm wrong - if you set it at 80 psi, is that 80 all throughout the internal piping? Or the pressure will drop if you turn a faucet ON. The thing is, I have also a pressure valve connected after the PRV(with the meter) and when no one is using the pressure is at 80psi, then when you open a faucet it drops to 60 psi and this is just 1 faucet. Adding more you will see less water flowing on the second faucet.
Thanks for the guidance.

Re: water pressure after the PRV
Author: packy (MA)

what you describe is more related to volume (pipe size) rather than pressure.
simply put.. if you have a 1000 gallon tank at 80 PSI and you open a faucet attached to it, the pressure will drop slowly but if it is a 10 gallon tank the pressure will go down rapidly.

Packy - I appreciate the information. Thanks. big grin

@Packy - I appreciate the information. Going forward, what must I do to have a stronger water flow throughout the house? If I were to open more than 1 faucet. Thanks.

Edited 2 times.

Author: hj (AZ)

It depends on the PRV, and its flow capacity. Some have a limited flow so almost any draw will reduce the pressure, and as the flow increases the pressure decreases. Other, better quality valves will maintain the pressure, or have a slight drop under "normal' flows.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

I'd be curious as to what the pressure, on the city side of the PRV does.

hj & Paul48- thanks for the feedback thumbs

@hj/@Paul48- thanks for the feedback.
I believe the city supplies more than a 100psi (normally); the current setting is 80psi on the valve but I will see the pressure meter read 70 or 68 at times even when there is no usage. I have read that the minimum flow through a water pressure reducing valve should be 10% to 15% of the maximum flow rate desired in the system. I was think maybe if I can set the valve to 85 or 83, will bring a satisfactory performance.

Edited 1 times.

Author: Paul48 (CT)

This goes back to what has been said......There is a difference between pressure and flow. You can have 80 psi on a 1/4" pipe and a 3" pipe. Obviously the flow through each would be drastically different. If the pressure on the city side drops of when you are using water, you may be between a rock and a hard place.

Author: srloren (CA)

What size is your water main? How far from the meter is the home? At 80 PSI, it sounds as if you are undersized with your water lines. If you have the correct size piping and the pressure is constant at 80 PSI from the city, you should get plenty of water. My pressure is set to 65 PSI for my copper pipes here in San Diego Area. I might add that you should not have over 80 PSI on your home because it is not good for your Dish Washer or Clothes washer.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.