Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Point of Use electric tankless in kitchen
Author: Jeanne, Shreveport, LA (LA)

My adopted "brother-in-law" suggested an Eemax electric tankless point of use water heater for under my kitchen sink, due to the length the hot water has to travel under the house to get to the sink. It is a great suggestion, but I am not confident that he knows which one I need. He is suggesting a 120 volt saying that it will do the job and that I can run it off the 20 amp line with the dishwasher and disposal, but he is not a plumber nor an electrician and I want to do it right the first time. Will that handle my need for hot water to the kitchen sink? I live in Shreveport, Louisiana. I do have a 30 amp line under the house that is an old dryer line and no longer used. I called Eemax, but the guy on the phone was trying to sell me the most expensive model and I did not trust him because he never even asked where I lived, which I have noticed is something that would make a difference. Please advise on what would be adequate for those kitchen sink needs and what I should look for in the right one. Thank you so much.

Re: Point of Use electric tankless in kitchen
Author: hj (AZ)

Forget about a 120v unit. The ONLY way to get "hot" water from them is to use the supplied aerator which reduces the flow to a few "needle like" jets of water. Even a 240v 4000 watt unit barely keeps up with a faucet at a moderate flow. A small 6 gallon tank type heater, which is 120v will give you an initial boost of hot water but will take more space in the cabinet.

Author: Bobrob33 (KY)

Just a quick question: why would it matter where you lived if you want to install the water heater?

Author: packy (MA)

the temperature of the in-comming water is significant when you figure the heater is rated on gallons per minute at a certain temperature rise.
where i live the in-coming cold water can get as low as 40 deg in the winter.
try raising that to 130 with a 110V electric tankless.
oh yeah, you can do it but you can spit more water that that heater can produce trying to do a 90 deg rise.

Author: bernabeu (SC)

1 pound water raised 1 degree = 1 btu

1 gal water = 8.33 lbs

incoming water @ 75 raised to 105 = 30 btu/lb

so, at 1 gpm flow rate, in a warm climate, 8.33 x 30 = 250 btu/min = 15,000 btu/hour

BEST OF LUCK

==============================================

"Measure Twice & Cut Once" - Retired U.A. Local 1 & 638

Edited 1 times.

Re: Point of Use electric tankless in kitchen clap
Author: Jeanne, Shreveport, LA (LA)

Thanks Mr. South Carolina, I'm going to look at the specs on some heaters now. And thanks to the smart person who answered about how cold the water gets in the pipes based on where you live. I appreciate my fellow Americans' assistance!!!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.