Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 combo waste and vent question
Author: Pipe runner (AZ)

I just reviewed the code and am pretty sure my install is OK...BUT the foreman thinks I should have used a long turn 90 instead of the medium sweep 90. This is the tail piece and trap of a future floor drain/sink on a combination waste and vent system in a grocery store. Hard to tell from the pic but the 4 x 3 comby is rolled at 45 degrees.

[i401.photobucket.com]

Edited 1 times.

Re: combo waste and vent question
Author: asktom (MT)

You have created an S trap, which is not approved. After the trap there should be a vent at or before the point where the line turns downward.

Please read the code on combination waste and vent systems (I am reading from Chapter 9 of 2010 CA plumbing code) and then report back how this is a violation if you don't mind. I appreciate your comment about the illegal S trap (I really do because I want to become a better plumber) but I think you are wrong in this case.

Edited 1 times.

Author: m & m (MD)

Lay the combination Y 1/8th flat and you are fine. No problem using the ell you have.

Author: packy (MA)

I agree with tom.. I would have used a "Y" laid almost flat and set the trap down in the dirt.

from the code:

910.5 No vertical waste pipe shall be used in any such system, except the tailpiece or connection between the outlet of a plumbing fixture and the trap. Such tailpieces or connections shall be as short as possible, and in no case shall exceed two (2) feet (610 mm).

Exception: Branch lines shall be permitted to have 45 degree (0.79 rad) vertical offsets.

Not a whole lot of room in this ditch to lay the comby on its side and then I'm not sure but I think I would then run into a tail piece exceeding 24". Using the exception in the code my branch line is 45 degrees off the main.

I hate to disagree with some of the top experts on this site!! But I'm sticking to my guns. I think this is a perfectly legal install. Inspection to come.

Edited 1 times.

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I realize codes vary from state to state, but where I'm from that is a partial S-Trap and is a code violation. The wye would need to be rolled back down to a near horizontal position.

Author: m & m (MD)

I'm wagering you pass inspection free and clear.

Author: hj (AZ)

Combination waste and vent systems, because if the minimal vent risers are a basically FLAT system. You HAVE created an "S" trap. In addition, the trap has to be at least one size larger than the floor sink's riser.

Not all inspectors know how to look at a waste and vent system, since they see so few of them.

at HJ....I was worried about the size of the trap. If I have to rip this out and start over I may consider a new career path!! haha on me, but as double M says I'm pretty sure it will pass.

this trap will be constantly being fed water from a case drain and trap primer to be installed on drain body...I'm not too worried about an empty trap. Putting the code aside for a moment I don't think my install will effect the health nor safety of any employee or customer in the grocery store...but that's a guess too! Inspector is by the book so her stamp approval will be OK with me and I'll rest easy and move on.

Edited 1 times.

Good luck. A "by the book" knowledgeable inspector would NOT pass it.

Author: steve (CA)

Did you see 910.4(2010 CPC) about trap/pipe sizing?

Author: vic (CA)

Having had the fortune to have gone through one of the most extensive indentured plumbing apprenticeship programs anywhere in the U.S. as well as having one of the finest plumbing instructors ever (Mario Fala former head of L.A. City plumbing inspection department) and speaking as a former plumbing instructor myself including teaching plumbing code on college level I can tell you you have created an s-trap and it's a code violation.

That said many areas have inspectors who are not expected nor trained to specialize in plumbing and so it might pass, however that does mean it's actually legal anywhere in the U.S..

Author: hi (TX)

Wow

Impressive Vic!

Thanks for keeping the forum!

We need to get more readers and more questions i think.

Thanks for all the input smileys with beer

It's hard to put your work out there and have it critiqued but I think I have learned and understand this subject more. Thanks for all the input. Say NO to S traps!

Edited 1 times.

Re: Thanks for all the input smileys with beer
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

How did the inspection go ?

Re: Thanks for all the input smileys with beer

the rough in for the floor drain in the photo and others not seen but on the same line plumbed virtually all the same Passed inspection.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.