Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Toilet not flushing
Author: John344 (FL)

Hi. Im sorry if this has been answered, i found a few similarsimilar subjects on a search but not the exact problem. Ok, so I am renting a room from a friend at hwr ranch house and 1 of the toilets does not flush all the way. I tried the bucket test and it does not over flow but the water does not go down all the way. I put toilet paper in and flushed and the water swirls but it doesnt go down, I checked back a little while later and the toilet paper was gone so I know it is flushing but just not properly, everything is eventually going down but like I said even with the bucket test the bowl doesn't empty yet it doesn't over flow either. Any advice on what I might be able to do to fix this? I also tried plunging and when I plunged the sink made a gurgling sound, I dont know if that means anything? Also, even plunging the water in the bowl doesnt completely empty.

Re: Toilet not flushing
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

The gurgling in the sink tells me that the pipe from the toilet is at least partially filled with water. There could be a belly in the piping just downstream of the toilet. The toilet may need to be pulled and a drain cleaning machine used. Is there access to the piping underneath or is the house on a slab ?

Author: John344 (FL)

The house is on a slab. The laundry is in a completely seperate room and she said when the washer is running the toilet wont flush either. Again, not sure if it is all related? The other toilet that is by the laundry room works just fine when the washer is running.

Author: Wheelchair (IL)

What brand and model of toilet, is in question? How old is the plumbing?

Best Wishes

Author: srloren (CA)

Like the others suggested you have either a partial stoppage causing the problem. Or the toilet has a problem. It could be as simple as a flapper not functioning properly because it is not allowing enough water to properly flush, the toilet may have issues with calcium clogging the holes around the upper part and inside of the bowl. The age and name and model of the toilet could give a hint. You could also have a drainage problem as suggested above i.e. a belly or improper grade issue. These potential problems must be addressed one at a time to determine your problem. Good luck

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.