Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 couple ?'s re: toilet wax ring and flush valve
Author: cvcman (NY)

Ok we have an old toilet and want to keep it,,,im removing it to put down new ceramic tiles,,,not sure what ill find but its cast iron soil pipe we have been told is 4 " service weight,,,its a ranch house....so: here aremy questions.....

1) I want to rebuild the tank with new stand pipe and flush valve,,,will it be std 2" the toilet is a 1959, it has 3 tank to bowl bolts

2) Its a 4 bolt to the floor toilet,,,if the flange is junk or if it ends up being a little too low, can I just use the extra thick wax seal ?

3) the extra thick wax seal I see has the plastic short flange coming out but I thought I read here NOT to use one with the plastic pc ?? Tis thing has never leaked a drop so I hate to disturb it,,,,

Thoughts on this too pls [www.ebay.com]

Thx guys !

Edited 1 times.

Re: couple ?'s re: toilet wax ring and flush valve
Author: packy (MA)

a standard flush valve will be fine. the amount of time the flapper stays up is critical for a proper (not wasteful) flush. someone make an adjustable flapper..
use a flange extension kit to raise the top of the flange. do not use the wax with a plastic insert.
if the flange is secured to the floor, the 2 back bolts are all you need.

cool...did you see that ebay listed new style seal ?? Wonder if its a good one...All the thick wax rings I see have that stupid plastic lip

if it fills the space between the flange and the bottom of the bowl, it is part of the plumbing system and as such needs product approval from the state it is being used in.
as a homeowner it may seem like a good idea/product but as a professional i'm not so sure.

do the new flanges that slip into the soil pipe and have the rubber gasket that threads onto the flange leg work??..seems like they would seal up nice or the other one I saw was called Set-Rite...came with different thicknesses of gaskets, then the new flange ....

if the inside wall of the cast iron is all pitted and rough then the slide in gasket won't seal so well.

well its old so probably not smooth,,,I could wire brush it smooth but maybe use the Set-Rite system..have you seen this ??

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I've used them in certain situations. I usually smooth the inside surface of the cast iron as best I can, run a bead of silicon in the pipe and then insert the flange and tighten the ring. I'm sure it wouldn't leak under normal circumstances and almost sure it wouldn't leak if the pipe became clogged and filled with water to the rim of the bowl.

would this sit on top of the finished floor and then screw thru the tiles into the underlying floor ?? Can I drill the tiles with a carbide drill ?

Author: steve (CA)

The type of tile determines the type of drill bit required. You should use a diamond bit(with water) on hard stone and porcelain tiles.

Author: sharp1 (IL)

Get the diamond blade that looks like an arrowhead. Temporarily insert the flange on top of the finished floor and mark the anchor holes with a Sharpie. Remove the flange and using a center punch, gently tap each hole to break the glaze and have a starting point. Build a dam around each hole with plumbers putty, fill with water, and start drilling, adding water as needed to keep the bit wet.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.