Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Confusion between NPT and compression fittings
Author: southpawboston (MA)

Excuse the novice question. I am installing an old-fashioned bridge-style kitchen faucet that has two chrome-plated brass inlet adapters that, on the bottom end, are flanged and mount to the countertop, and at the top end, have 1-1/8" threaded ends that mount to the valve body with a rubber washer. The inlet adapters have 1/2" female NPT threads for the cold and hot water supply. I have two 1/2" male NPT brass close nipples, 3" long, to extend from the inlets through the countertop. I understand the nipples thread to the faucet inlets via tapered threads creating an interference fit. This much I get.

But the other end of the nipple and its connection to the water supply is causing me confusion and I want to make sure I get this right. Can I attach a standard flex supply hose to the nipple (the kind of flex hose with 1/2" female spin nut and conical rubber washer)? I know that the supply hose will technically fit and will tighten to the nipple (I've tried it), but I seem to understand that there is a different interface for that type of fitting, where the pipe's end is smooth and beveled (like you see on a shut-off valve). Whereas, the nipple end is not particularly smooth and beveled, it's just a standard nipple end. It seems from my limited understanding that there are two different interfaces that use the same threads, one designed for either compression fittings using straight pipe and a compression ferule, or a flex hose with conical washer, and the other for thread to thread direct connection without washer (via the thread taper). Is there such thing as, and do I need to use, a female 1/2" NPT to male threaded compression adapter between the nipple and flex hose?

Edited 5 times.

Re: Confusion between NPT and compression fittings

This is the part that I *think* I need between the 1/2" NPT nipple and flex supply hose:

[www.suremarineservice.com]

But fueling my confusion is this home depot listing for this flex hose, which states that the 1/2" end threads to faucets with 1/2 MPT, which is what the nipples are. So according to this, I don't need an adapter.

[www.homedepot.com]

If others can confirm (or refute!), much appreciated.

Edited 4 times.

Author: packy (MA)

just thread the nut from the flexible faucet supply right onto the brass nipple. the cone shaped washer will make a fine seal.

Thank you! smiling smiley

Thank you! I was overthinking the interface differences.

Edited 1 times.

Author: packy (MA)

the threads are the same but the faucet has a running thread so the fastening nut will spin all the way up to secure it while the nipple threads taper slightly to make a seal when screwed into a fitting.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.