Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Sewer Pipe Broken
Author: thebigba (WV)

Hello and thanks in advance for any assistance. The issue I'm having is and old sewer line busted in my basement. The pipe in question is and old black line with an outside diameter of 5 inch and an inside of 4 inch. This system runs into a coupler connect to the rest of the plumbing and has broken near the wall heading outside the house, there is approximately 5 inches still sticking out of the wall. I have tried searching home depot but cant seem to find the right couplers or same diameter of pipe that was used. not being a plumber by trade I would like some advice as to what i can do to get this line connected again.

Re: Sewer Pipe Broken
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

Sounds like it may be Orangeburg pipe ? They probably make a rubber coupling that would fit over it. It might be best to replace the inside portion with PVC and make the transition outside, you might even find cast iron outside.

Author: hj (AZ)

I assume it is a 'BITUMINOUS" (rolled tar paper), Orangeburg pipe. I so, you will have to search for a Fernco coupling with an approximate o.d., (sometimes you have to stretch it over the pipe, or if it is too large "shrink" it by tightening the bands). The other end will probably need a bushing to match the material you are using. Since it is made of paper, it can crush, or distort, very easily.

Author: hj (AZ)

quote; you might even find cast iron outside.

That would be a reach. If they used cast iron anywhere IT would be inside, but the reason for using Orangeburg, (and it should only have been outside), was to save money.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.