Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Squealing noise from the bathroom pipes???
Author: zhenya (CA)

Ok, guys I am hoping someone can help me. I own a condo on the second floor of a 3 floor 12 unit building.

Every now and then there is a high pitched squealing/shrilling noise coming from the pipe(s) in the wall behind my toilet. It's driving me insane.

I can't exactly nail down what conditions cause it.

Here is what I have noticed:

1) The sound lasts about 5 seconds.

2) The toilet supply line (I think that's what the hose going from the wall to the toilet is called) actually vibrates when the noise occurs (this should be a big clue right?).

3) Best as I can tell the noise does not always happen when my upstairs neighbors use the toilet. Another words I don't always hear a flush before the noise occurs. But even though I can't say I am 100% sure it's caused by them--I am pretty sure--I can usually hear them walking (I assume in and out of the bathroom) when the noise occurs.

4) Nothing I do in my apartment seems to affect it the noise. If I flush, or turn on the faucet, or turn on the shower when the noise starts, there is no effect (it would seem if this was a pressure issue, turning on the water would make the noise stop or change immediately).

Any ideas? Is it a pressure issue? I would gladly call a plumber and deal with my HOA but I feel like this is one of those things where he won't be able to find anything, because I can't reproduce the noise on demand.

Does this answer have any merit?
[answers.yahoo.com]

I managed to record the sound recently, here is a short video: [www.dropbox.com]

Thanks.

Re: Squealing noise from the bathroom pipes???
Author: packy (MA)

i would suspect someone has a toilet fill valve that is causing the noise.
if you can hear the noise others in the condo association can hear it as well.
there is a possibility that you have a leaking flapper on your toilet and when it fills it makes the noise ???
trial and error will be the only way to find this..

Thanks guys big grin

Thanks guys, so am I getting you right?

I should check the upstairs neighbors toilet to start with? Because flushing my toilet when the noise starts has no effect (also it doesn't leak or anything).

How does the piping work behind the walls? Is it possible it's from a unit that's not above me or below me?

Edited 1 times.

noise does travel thru metal pipes..

I guess what I mean is, let's say it is not my apartment, since nothing I do seems to affect the noise when it starts.

But given that the water tube going to the toilet vibrates when the noise starts, what does that tell me? Are the toilets all connected to the same pipe? behind the walls? From downstairs and upstairs units?

there would be one main cold water feed going up. each unit should be teed off of it. and no, there will not be a cold water feed that picks up just toilets on all floors.
either i missed it or you did not say that your cold water pipe to the toilet vibrates.
so, try turning the shut off under your toilet off to see what happens. if the problem is yours then the noise will stop.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.