Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Can an Oatey In-Line Vent failure cause my laundry drain to overflow?
Author: kingme8 (IA)

Hi I'm new on the site! Came here looking for some advice. A couple of days ago I noticed water on our laundry room floor (after doing a load of laundry). I wasn't sure where it came from, until I started another load and watched it for awhile. When the washer drained it almost immediately backed up through the standing pipe. I took a drain snake and ran through the trap, while looking down the vent pipe, I had taken the Oatey In-Line Vent off the top of the vent pipe. Nothing seemed to be clogged. So I took the supply line and put it down the drain to see if it would overflow, but everything flowed just fine. I started to screw the in-line vent back on and within just a few turns the water began to fill the drain, I took it back off and it drained fine again. Could my problem be with the in-line vent? I bought the washing machine new in Jan 2015 and have had no problems with it overflowing. I don't know how old the in-line vent is, it was here when we bought the house (Oct 2014). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Can an Oatey In-Line Vent failure cause my laundry drain to overflow?
Author: steve (CA)

It shouldn't cause the backing up problem. The vent is there to protect the trap from having it's water seal siphoned out. The drain piping needs to be mechanically cleaned better(no chemicals).

Re: Can an Oatey In-Line Vent failure cause my laundry drain to overflow?
Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

No, the in-line vent is not the problem, the drain is partially clogged. Removing the vent allowed the air trapped in the pipe to escape, thus allowing the water to drain better. Depending on the piping arrangement it might be best to snake from where the in line vent screws in.

Thank you all very much for the help smileys with beer
Author: kingme8 (IA)

Thank you all very much for the help. I tried snaking the drain, I only have a 25' snake, I didn't have anything stuck on the end and the drain was still backing up when I ran water down it. Looks like I'm calling the professional! Thanks again!

Edited 1 times.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.