Welcome to Plbg.com
Thank you to all the plumbing professionals who offer their advice and expertise

Over 698,000 strictly plumbing related posts

Plumbing education, information, advice, help and suggestions are provided by some of the most experienced plumbers who wish to "give back" to society. Since 1996 we have been the best online (strictly) PLUMBING advice site. If you have questions about plumbing, toilets, sinks, faucets, drains, sewers, water filters, venting, water heating, showers, pumps, and other strictly PLUMBING related issues then you've come to the right place. Please refrain from asking or discussing legal questions, or pricing, or where to purchase products, or any business issues, or for contractor referrals, or any other questions or issues not specifically related to plumbing. Keep all posts positive and absolutely no advertising. Our site is completely free, without ads or pop-ups and we don't tract you. We absolutely do not sell your personal information. We are made possible by:  

Post New
Search
How to Show Images
Newest Subjects
 Plumber broke snake head under sink
Author: Dumbledore (CA)

Hello,

We noticed water regurgitating from the sink when using garbage disposal. It stopped after a while as we kept running water and starting the garbage disposal. We then noticed water leaking from the wall connected to the pipe.
Plumber 1 tried to get it fixed by the snake but then stated that the snake head broke and he has to go under the house to fix it. He cane up after 1 hour staying he could not fit in the space and probably some part of the pipe has to be removed to get the snake head.

Plumber 2 said that he can get the snake head out by the auger from the clean out in garage, but he could not open the clean out d/t lack of accessibility and we would have to install a new one under the kitchen sink . He refused to go under the house and stated that he had no idea why Plumber 1 wanted to go under the house .

This was all home warranty .

We contacted an independent plumber who first said that they could fix the problem from the roof but after listening to the broken snake head story stated again the the pipe has to be cut.

Can anyone please give me opinion and the best way to approach this problem? We are really frustrated.
Thanks in advance

Re: Plumber broke snake head under sink
Author: Wheelchair (IL)

The internet and your description, doesn't provide the necessary to offer you a tangible suggestion to resolve your issue. A licensed plumber, performing an onsite inspection, has a greater advantage over anyone using a keyboard and video screen. With enough money, anything can be done.

I can only speculate, with others that the waste line be changed.

Best Wishes

Author: North Carolina Plumber (NC)

I'd pay to see plumber 2 remove the snake head from the garage cleanout. smiling smiley. Someone may have to tunnel back to under the kitchen sink to access the drain pipe, cut it, remove the head and clean the drain.

Author: sum (FL)

Fellow DIYer here.

What happened to plumber 1, did he just walk away without offering a resolution? You said this is covered under home warranty so you are basically stuck with the home warranty company. I would suggest calling the home warranty company and escalate to a supervisor and ask them to fix the big problem that was created by their contractor who came to resolve a small problem. Your contacting an independent company while it may help resolve this issue it could also be an excuse the home warranty company employ to void your warranty.

Having said that, I had a similar situation many years ago trying to snake and video my sewer lines and had a camera head stuck. The plumber said the only reason his camera head would break is because my cast iron line has corroded to the point it collapsed and the camera has "penetrated" the corroded wall of the CI pipe and wedged in mud and gravel. He said my entire line has to be replaced and quoted me $15000. He refused to fix the problem he created because (1) it's my fault the line was corroded and (2) he lost a $1000 camera head and this was only a $500 job. I told him to at least tell me how far the camera head had travelled before it was "lost", and that, combined with a vague idea of the line layout, I was able to determine the likely area to cut the concrete slab and cut the pipe. I cut open the concrete slab, excavated the soil, and found a combo fitting which I cut and replaced. The cutting of the pipe reassured me that my CI pipe was fine, there is corrosion but no collapse, even the bottom side had over 3/8" of good sound metal. The camera head was twisted on itself inside the elbow of the fitting like a figure 8 and binded. Long story short, you need to have the home warranty company send out a plumber 3 who is more skilled and experience then plumber 1 or 2, you need to know where the head was stuck (how far down was it when he lost the head, he should know by measuring the section he pulled out), and with your plumbing plans (which may or may not exist and if that exist may or may not be accurate), have an approximate location. I have heard of plumbers sending another snake down to try and knock loose the stuck snake, then push it down the line where it changes to a bigger pipe and eventually intercept it at a cleanout...I have also heard of a retrieving head someone could send down to grab the stuck head and bring it back...I don't know if those are "real" solutions because they could make matters even worse. Good luck.

Please note:
  • Inappropriate messages or blatant advertising will be deleted. We cannot be held responsible for bad or inadequate advice.
  • Plbg.com has no control over external content that may be linked to from messages posted here. Please follow external links with caution.
  • Plbg.com is strictly for the exchange of plumbing related advice and NOT to ask about pricing/costs, nor where to find a product (try Google), nor how to operate or promote a business, nor for ethics (law) and the like questions.
  • Plbg.com is also not a place to ask radiant heating (try HeatingHelp.com), electrical or even general construction type questions. We are exclusively for plumbing questions.

Search for plumbing parts on our sponsor's site:

Special thanks to our sponsor:
PlumbingSupply.com

Copyright© 2024 Plbg.com. All Rights Reserved.